2017 ACC tournament preview: Virginia Tech

<p>Virginia Tech forward Zach LeDay averages more than 15 points per contest and has had to take on a bigger scoring load inside with Chris Clarke out for the rest of the&nbsp;season.&nbsp;</p>

Virginia Tech forward Zach LeDay averages more than 15 points per contest and has had to take on a bigger scoring load inside with Chris Clarke out for the rest of the season. 

Virginia Tech Hokies: 21-9, 10-8 in the ACC

Head coach: Buzz Williams (3rd season)

Players to watch: Zach LeDay (15.6 PPG, 7.1 RPG); Seth Allen (13.1 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 3.3 APG); Ahmed Hill (11.9 PPG)

Season recap: After shocking the ACC by winning their last five games in 2015-16 to finish 10-8 in league play, the Hokies were determined to show that success was not a fluke with all of their key contributors back. Virginia Tech did just that, running through nonconference play with just one loss and picking up a quality win at Michigan before battling again in the brutal ACC. The Hokies opened league play by routing Duke with a balanced attack and a barrage of 3-pointers, but, like most conference teams, struggled mightily away from home.

After Virginia Tech fell to 5-6 in conference play following four lopsided road losses, it seemed to right the ship with an 80-78 double-overtime win against Virginia. However, the team lost forward Chris Clarke—who averaged 11.4 points and 7.3 rebounds per game—for the season to a torn ACL in that contest, making many wonder whether the Hokies could seal an NCAA tournament bid.

Luckily for Virginia Tech fans, its offensive balance and depth paid off late in the year, as the team went 4-2 without Clarke to finish with fewer than 10 losses in a regular season for the first time since 2009-10.

Zach LeDay and Seth Allen headline the Hokie offense, and if the two steady veterans can put up some big offensive numbers this week, Virginia Tech could be playing Saturday night.

How they make a run: LeDay and Allen play like all-conference performers after getting left off the All-ACC teams, and the Hokies' ability to spread the court—five players have made at least 36 triples this season—leads to multiple wins in New York.

Share and discuss “2017 ACC tournament preview: Virginia Tech” on social media.