2017 ACC tournament preview: Louisville

<p>Although Donovan Mitchell and the Cardinals have slipped a bit on defense this year, they still are capable of wearing teams down with physical play and ball pressure.&nbsp;</p>

Although Donovan Mitchell and the Cardinals have slipped a bit on defense this year, they still are capable of wearing teams down with physical play and ball pressure. 

Louisville Cardinals: 24-7, 12-6 in the ACC

Head coach: Rick Pitino (16th season)

Players to watch: Donovan Mitchell (15.9 PPG, 37.1 3PT%); Quentin Snider (12.6 PPG, 40.0 3PT%); Deng Adel (11.6 PPG)

Season recap: The Cardinals had another impressive campaign in the 2016-17 season despite losing their top three scorers from last year’s squad. Sophomore Donovan Mitchell was able to fill the void by becoming the team’s leading scorer and a defensive menace in the backcourt. His partner in crime, junior Quentin Snider, has also become one of the better two-way guards in the country. Combined with a physical frontcourt that can wear teams down at both ends, Louisville appears to have the ingredients for another deep postseason run.

The Cardinals were tested early and often in nonconference play, blowing a huge lead against Baylor in the Bahamas before picking up quality wins against Purdue and Kentucky. Despite starting league play 0-2 with losses against Virginia and Notre Dame, Louisville won seven of its next eight—including a win against Duke—to right the ship. Although they were swept by the Cavaliers, the Cardinals went unbeaten against everyone else at home to finish tied for second in the ACC, ultimately slipping to the No. 4 spot by way of a three-team tiebreaker.

After having to sit out the postseason in 2016, expect Louisville to be hungry to make its mark this week in New York. And if role players like swingman Deng Adel and big men Anas Mahmoud and Mangok Mathiang can provide some scoring for head coach Rick Pitino’s club, don’t be surprised if the Cardinals end up playing Saturday night in the title game.

How they make a run: Mitchell and Snyder make enough perimeter shots to keep defenses honest, and the Cardinals' pressure defense and depth give them an edge later in the conference tournament en route to the ACC title game.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “2017 ACC tournament preview: Louisville” on social media.