Duke, peer institutions file brief opposing Trump's immigration order

<p>Princeton University, Yale University, Dartmouth College and Vanderbilt University also signed on to the brief.&nbsp;</p>

Princeton University, Yale University, Dartmouth College and Vanderbilt University also signed on to the brief. 

Duke, along with 16 other universities, has filed an amicus brief in opposition of Trump's recent executive order regarding immigration.

The brief—which was filed in the in United States District Court, Eastern District of New York—notes that all 17 of the universities have a global mission and benefits from the contributions of scholars and students from all around the world. 

“Because [the universities] seek to educate future leaders from nearly every continent, attract the world’s best scholars, faculty and students and work across international borders, they rely on the ability to welcome international students, faculty and scholars into their communities," the brief reads. 

The brief goes on to note that Trump's executive order threatens the ability of the universities to fulfill their global missions and creates difficulties for their international students and faculty. 

Other universities that signed on to the brief include Princeton University, Yale University, Dartmouth College and Vanderbilt University. 

Amicus briefs are filed in appellate court cases by non-litigants who have a strong interest in the matter. Their purpose is to advise the court or add relevant information for the courts to consider. 

Share and discuss “Duke, peer institutions file brief opposing Trump's immigration order” on social media.