Indefinite suspension turns out to be 1 game for Allen, who shows off playmaking ability in return

<p>Senior Matt Jones came off the bench to nail three triples as Duke scored a season-high 61 first-half points.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Matt Jones came off the bench to nail three triples as Duke scored a season-high 61 first-half points. 

When news of Grayson Allen's indefinite suspension came down two weeks ago, there was a general consensus that the preseason All-American would likely miss multiple games as a result of his third tripping incident in less than a year.

But following just one game on the sidelines, the junior was back in uniform for Duke Wednesday night. And just four days removed from the Blue Devils' lackluster effort at Virginia Tech, Allen sparked their most lopsided ACC victory in more than 50 years.

The Jacksonville, Fla., native transformed the Duke offense—one that shot less than 42 percent from the floor and tallied only eight assists against the Hokies—facilitating fluid ball movement against the Yellow Jackets. 

Although Allen took just five shots from the field, he converted on three, went a perfect 7-of-7 from the charity stripe and dished out seven of the team's season-high 24 assists.

"Grayson draws so much attention. He’s a really, really good player and he’s a playmaker," sophomore Luke Kennard said. "He’s one of our best playmakers on the team—that’s what we need from him."

After Saturday's defeat, Blue Devil head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced that Allen would be stripped of his co-captaincy—yet another twist in an unfolding saga for the 6-foot-4 guard.

It appeared, however, that with his most recent transgression now behind him, Allen was more than ready to get back on the floor Wednesday and give his team's offensive attack a much-needed shot in the arm.

Krzyzewski said after the game that he postponed his upcoming lower-back surgery a few days so he could see his team at full strength, and that included Allen running the show as the primary ball handler. 

The five-time national champion coach added that he and Kevin White, vice president and director of athletics, discussed Allen's return and felt their steps taken behind the scenes with the All-American made the one-game absence appropriate. 

"I was just ready to accept whatever came my way—whether it was one game, captain or no captain, three games, five games," Allen said. "I was obviously excited to come back and play because I love the game and love playing. It hurt to be out watching them play and knowing that if I did the right things, I’d be out there."

He poured in 15 points—one of seven Duke players to register double-digit points—including a four-point play a little more than midway through the first-half that ignited the Cameron Indoor Stadium crowd.

Allen's impact was felt beyond his own scoring, though. A dangerous scoring option both as a long-range shooter and a potent driver, he gave Georgia Tech another threat to defend against and allowed teammates to space the floor and penetrate the lane at will.

In a game that saw the Blue Devils notch 44 points in the paint and go on 14-0 and 11-0 offensive runs, there was no question as to the 2016 the Preseason Player of the Year's importance.

"[Allen's] a great player and he pushes the ball really well," freshman Jayson Tatum said. "When he pushes and drives, he can score and he kicks out—he’s a great passer so that helped us a lot today."

And with Krzyzewski preparing to be away from Duke for the next four weeks and the Blue Devils traveling to battle a pair of top-20 opponents in Florida State and Louisville next week, the 2015 national champion could be critical in keeping this Duke team and its national title aspirations headed in the right direction.

"Moving forward, I’m just focusing all the energy I have and everything on my mind on this team and what we’re doing and blocking out any noise and just [trying] to do the best job I can," Allen said.

Hank Tucker contributed reporting. 

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “Indefinite suspension turns out to be 1 game for Allen, who shows off playmaking ability in return” on social media.