North Carolina men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

<p>The Tar Heels will need point guard Joel Berry II to have another strong season to make up for the losses of Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige.&nbsp;</p>

The Tar Heels will need point guard Joel Berry II to have another strong season to make up for the losses of Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige. 

North Carolina Tar Heels

Overall record: 33-7, 14-4 in the ACC

Head coach: Roy Williams

Tenure at North Carolina: 14th season

Career coaching record: 783-209

Home court: Dean E. Smith Center

Starters: G Joel Berry II, G Nate Britt, F Justin Jackson, F Kennedy Meeks, F Isaiah Hicks

Bench: G Brandon Robinson, G Seventh Woods, G Theo Pinson, F Tony Bradley

Overview: After entering last season as the top-ranked team in the country, North Carolina won 19 of its first 21 games to cement itself as one of the teams to beat in the NCAA tournament. But after a run to the title game, the Tar Heels had their hearts snatched from their chests when Villanova's Kris Jenkins hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to give the Wildcats the championship.

North Carolina will have to put the agony in the rearview mirror and find replacements for double-double machine Brice Johnson and All-ACC guard Marcus Paige in order to be a force in the ACC this season. Guard Joel Berry II returns after finishing second on the team with 12.8 points per game last season and is joined by the duo of Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks down low. Both Meeks and Hicks can expect to see their touches increase as the Tar Heels look to find a go-to option for late-game situations. 

One area where North Carolina will look to improve is perimeter shooting. With the Tar Heels losing their best deep threat in Paige—who shot better than 38 percent from behind the arc during his college career—Justin Jackson and Nate Britt will have to develop into players that can space the floor around North Carolina's size in the post. 

The season is already off to a rough start for the Tar Heels with junior Theo Pinson sidelined for the first eight to 12 weeks of the season after breaking a bone in his right foot. With the setback, North Carolina will likely need one or two of its unproven players to make major strides early this season to avoid a drop-off in the conference standings. 

One thing that needs to go right: Meeks stays healthy and develops a post game that makes him dangerous enough to keep defenses honest and prevent them from doubling Berry II outside.

One thing that could go wrong: The Tar Heels lack of shooting comes back to bite them and North Carolina struggles against teams that have the size to contend with Meeks and Hicks in the paint. 

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “North Carolina men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.