NCAA grants Duke football quarterback Thomas Sirk sixth year of eligibility

<p>Redshirt senior quarterback Thomas Sirk&nbsp;will be back with the Blue Devils next season.&nbsp;</p>

Redshirt senior quarterback Thomas Sirk will be back with the Blue Devils next season. 

The Blue Devils recently lost a quarterback they expected to be on the roster next year when four-star recruit Jack Sears decommitted and chose Southern California.

But Duke found out Monday that a familiar face will be on its quarterback depth chart in 2017.

Redshirt senior Thomas Sirk was granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA after suffering a third serious Achilles injury that cost him the 2016 season earlier this year. Sirk was expected to play entering the year as a fifth-year senior, but got injured in late August leading up to the Blue Devils' season opener. 

An Achilles injury also cost him the 2013 season, which allowed him to apply for a sixth year of eligibility. The Glen St. Mary, Fla., native was Duke's leading passer and rusher last season, leading the Blue Devils to an 8-5 record and their first bowl victory since 1961. 

“I’m so grateful to have a sixth year to continue my dream of playing college football and, academically, work towards another degree from Duke University,” Sirk said in a release.

Redshirt freshman Daniel Jones has started every game for Duke this year, leading the Blue Devils to landmark wins at Notre Dame and against then-No. 15 North Carolina. After tossing eight interceptions in his first five games, including five against Virginia, Jones has thrown just one in his last six games and shown increased mobility.

Both Jones and head coach David Cutcliffe have talked about how Sirk has helped the team prepare off the field, and it will be interesting to see how the 6-foot-4, 220-pound quarterback fits into the team's quarterback situation next season.

Share and discuss “NCAA grants Duke football quarterback Thomas Sirk sixth year of eligibility ” on social media.