Marist men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

Marist Red Foxes

Overall record: 7-23, 4-16 in the MAAC

Head coach: Mike Maker

Tenure at Marist: 3rd season

Career coaching record: 158-72

Home court: McCann Field House

Starters: G Brian Parker, G Khallid Hart, F/G Kristinn Palsson, F Isaiah Lamb, C Kentrall Brooks 

Bench: G Richie Mitchell, C Tobias Sjoberg, G David Knudsen, F/G Ryan Funk, F Aleksander Dozic

Overview: Marist has been the bottom dweller of the MAAC, finishing with just a combined nine conference wins in the last two seasons. But the Red Foxes return a veteran squad that is poised to have more success this season. Marist is led by Preseason First Team All-MAAC honoree, Khallid Hart, who averaged 20.3 points per game in 2015-16.

The Red Foxes also have a freshman with experience playing on the international stage. Tobia Sjoberg was voted most valuable player of the U-19 Swedish Final Four and figures to be another scoring threat for Marist this season. 

The Red Fox will kick off their season against Duke Nov. 11 before beginning conference play against Niagara Dec. 2. 

One thing that needs to go right: Khallid Hart takes center stage on the offensive end while getting help from Sjoberg and other teammates. 

One thing that could go wrong: The Red Foxes offense is stagnant as the squad continues to struggle in conference play. 

Share and discuss “Marist men's basketball 2016-17 season preview” on social media.