Ilhan Omar: A story of hope

here we go again

With the divisiveness, fear and hopelessness brought by the election results also came news to lift spirits--news of a recent wave of women of color being elected to highly ranked political roles. One of these women is Ilhan Omar.

Omar is not only Somali-American (the first of whom to serve as a representative in U.S. government), but she is also a former refugee, a Muslim and a mother of three children. Omar is the youngest of seven children; she was born in Somalia and lived there for nine years. In 1991, she and her family fled Somalia due to the civil war, which started when armed rebel groups formed a rebellion against the regime of Siad Barre’s administration, who was head of the Supreme Revolutionary Council. After the leader of the Supreme Revolutionary Council, Barre, was overthrown, multiple armed factions fought to gain power, depleting Somalia of a central government, and replacing it with regional governments. Though central governments formed in the following years and factions continued to fight.

Because of the chaotic status of Somalia, Omar and her family fled to a refugee camp in Kenya. She and her family stayed in the camp in Kenya for four years before coming to the United States in 1995. Settling originally in Arlington, Virginia, her family later moved to Minneapolis. Omar came to the U.S only knowing how to speak Somali. She quickly learned English, and at the age of fourteen, she began to serve as her grandfather’s translator when accompanying him to his caucus meetings.

Since a young age, Omar’s father and grandfather accentuated the importance of democracy to her. She took this to heart and became a student organizer while attending Edison High School. After completing high school, she attended and North Dakota State University, earning a bachelor’s degree in political science and international studies. Not long after, she developed expertise in politics and business administration. After college, Omar worked various jobs in the fields of education, civil rights, human rights, economic empowerment, social justice and politics. In September 2015, she became the Director of Policy & Initiatives of the Women Organizing Women Network.

This year, Omar became a candidate for the Democratic-Farmer-Labor (DFL) Party for the Minnesota House of Representatives. She won the DFL primary and then won the election in November 2016.

Omar symbolizes hope for many people. As a woman who has faced adversaries and belongs to multiple marginalized groups, she awakens the dying spirit that many people have post-election. Omar said herself, "I think I bring the voice of young people...I think I bring the voice of women in the East African community. I bring the voice of Muslims. I bring the voice of young mothers looking for opportunities."

Omar’s statement certainly rings true. She is a big inspiration to refugee women, to young mothers, to women interested in politics, to Muslim women and to East African women. Though I felt completely heart-broken and hopeless about this election, Ilhan Omar revived my spirit. Seeing someone who I shared multiple identities with and who came from multiple marginalized groups that I was a part of gave me hope, and even though I do not know her, I connected to her story. Omar shows us why media representation and representation in politics for marginalized groups is so essential, especially for young women of color. Having outstanding women of color represented in politics and media not only gives hope to young women like me, but it also awakens our strength, courage and resilience to keep moving beyond the adversaries yet to come and to not allow fear to silence us.

Maram Elnagheeb is a Trinity freshman.

Maram Elnagheeb | here we go again

Maram Elnagheeb is a Trinity sophomore. Her column, "here we go again," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

Share and discuss “Ilhan Omar: A story of hope” on social media.