DUSDAC works to increase diversity of campus dining options

<p>DUSDAC members noted that students have enjoyed the new gluten-free options at Il Forno in West Union.</p>

DUSDAC members noted that students have enjoyed the new gluten-free options at Il Forno in West Union.

Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee considered ways to bring diversity to campus dining and changes to current on-campus vendors at its meeting Wednesday.

Members continued the ongoing discussion of adding Guasaca Arepa and Salsa Grill, a popular South American restaurant on Erwin Road, to the Merchants-on-Points program. Guasaca does not yet have a delivery service set up, so the process of incorporating it into the line-up is taking longer than anticipated.

“It’s going to take a lot more time and effort than we expected,” Brian Taylor, Trinity '16 and DUSDAC chair, said.

He noted that the "big hole" that existed because of the lack of Mexican and Latin American food is being remedied.

The idea of adding vendors that serve Mediterranean or African food was also brought up.

In addition, members discussed the state of current dining options on campus.

Some food trucks are reportedly not showing up at for their usual hours. Most times, they inform someone at Duke Dining, but often they do not.

Students have also complained that Trinity Cafe on East Campus is closing earlier than it is supposed to and that menu changes at Cafe Edens have resulted in limited options for breakfast.

However, DUSDAC members said that students have been happy with newly added gluten-free foods at West Union’s Il Forno. In response to requests for more gluten-free pastries on campus, JB’s Roasts and Chops has recently begun selling flourless cookies.

Dame’s Express on Central Campus is also offering new wings, which have received positive feedback, but some have complained about slow service.

In other business:

Members discussed Thursday's event in the Chef's Kitchen. Mario Batali, the famous chef and restaurant owner, will be hosting a demonstration session for students and faculty, who can get tickets through a raffle.

Devil’s Advocate, a guide to healthy dining on campus, is now available online.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC works to increase diversity of campus dining options ” on social media.