Duke in the NFL: Weeks 7 and 8

<p>Juwan Thompson got called up from the practice squad and ran for a one-yard touchdown for the Denver Broncos in Week 8.</p>

Juwan Thompson got called up from the practice squad and ran for a one-yard touchdown for the Denver Broncos in Week 8.

Two different former Blue Devils found the end zone in Week 8, as Duke alumni continue to have successful seasons in the pros.

Jamison Crowder, WR, Washington Redskins

Crowder has been a pleasant surprise for an otherwise inconsistent Redskins offense this season. The 5-foot-8 receiver followed up on a relatively quiet two-game stretch with the two best games of his breakout season so far. Crowder caught seven of nine targets in a Week 7 loss for 108 yards against the Detroit Lions. He topped the 100-yard mark again Sunday in a tie against the Cincinnati Bengals in London, hauling in nine of his 13 targets for 107 yards and a 33-yard touchdown in arguably the best individual performance of his young NFL career.

Crowder continues to prove all of the doubters wrong after he slipped to the fourth round in the 2015 NFL draft, showing that the hot start to his sophomore season was no fluke. Although Crowder is seemingly only getting better, Washington cannot continue to rely on just its speedy wideout. Crowder’s past two weeks have been impressive individual performances, but Washington was unable to pull out a win in either contest. If no changes are made, Crowder’s heroics will not be enough to save the Redskins.

Laken Tomlinson, LG, Detroit Lions

After appearing to have regained control of the left guard position in recent weeks, Laken Tomlinson has been perhaps permanently replaced in Detroit’s starting lineup. The former first-round pick sat on the bench for every offensive snap against the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, only seeing limited action on special teams. Rookie Graham Glasgow, a third-round pick drafted to play center, is performing well enough at left guard to leave the former Blue Devil without a place in the offense.

Vincent Rey, LB, Cincinnati Bengals

Rey has seen his role decrease upon the return of fellow linebacker Vontaze Burfect to the defense, but the sixth-year veteran still plays a valuable role for the Bengals. Although he only amassed a single tackle against the Cleveland Browns in a Week 7 win, he made his presence felt downfield, deflecting two passes and picking off Cody Kessler for his lone interception of the season.

Rey followed up his Week 7 outing with another strong performance against the Redskins. He tallied six solo tackles in a long game that ended with a tie in overtime, but the Cincinnati front seven still allowed 100 rushing yards.

Ross Cockrell, CB, Pittsburgh Steelers

Cockrell is still just as solid as he has been all season. The third-year cornerback continues to impress opposite William Gay, having found a consistent role after being cast away by the Buffalo Bills last season. Although Cockrell was quiet against New England in Week 7 with only two tackles, he seems to be entrenched as Pittsburgh’s starting right corner. The Steelers had a bye in Week 8, giving Cockrell time to rest before the second half of the season.

Juwan Thompson, RB, Denver Broncos

A series of injuries to starting running back C.J. Anderson as well as fullback Andy Janovich has forced the Broncos to count on a couple of practice squad players to fill the void. Thompson was promoted to the active roster after Anderson was placed on injured reserve and capitalized on the opportunity by rushing for a one-yard touchdown against the San Diego Chargers in Week 8. Denver’s lack of depth may benefit the young running back still looking to make a name for himself, as Thompson is likely to receive some more short-yardage opportunities in the coming weeks.

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Weeks 7 and 8” on social media.