Cincinnati men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

Cincinnati Bearcats

Overall record: 22-11, 12-6 in the AAC

Head coach: Mick Cronin

Tenure at Cincinnati: 11th season

Career coaching record: 276-153

Home court: Fifth Third Arena

Starters: G Troy Caupain, G Kevin Johnson, G Jacob Evans, F Kyle Washington, F Gary Clark

Bench: F Quadri Moore, G Jarron Cumberland, G Justin Jenifer, F Tre Scott, C Nysier Brooks

Overview: After posting a strong record in conference play and pushing Xavier and Iowa State in nonconference matchups, Cincinnati ended its season in heartbreaking fashion, The Bearcats lost to Connecticut in quadruple-overtime in the AAC tournament and fell 78-76 to St. Joseph’s in the first round of the NCAA tournament when a potential game-tying dunk by Cincinnati was ruled to be a tenth of a second too late.

The Bearcats return a dangerous and hungry squad this season led by preseason AAC Player of the Year Troy Caupain, who averaged 13.0 points per game last year. Cincinnati will introduce Kyle Washington, a transfer from N.C. State, to the mix after he sat out in 2015-16 due to transfer regulations. Washington could complement Caupain's perimeter scoring with his ability to put pressure on defenses in the post. 

The Bearcats are perennially known as one of the toughest defensive teams in the country and this year should be no different. Forward Gary Clark was named the AAC's Defensive Player of the Year as a sophomore and will be an intimidating force for opposing offenses once again. 

Cincinnati was picked to win its conference in the preseason poll and will face its first real test against No. 23 Rhode Island at the Basketball Hall-of-Fame Tip-Off Nov. 19. A win against the Rams would set up the Bearcats' first matchup against Duke since 1998. 

One thing that needs to go right: Washington and Clark combine to replace the lost production of Octavius Ellis and lead the Bearcats near the top of the AAC standings. 

One thing that could go wrong: Relying too much on Caupain's scoring and with a lack of proven depth in the frontcourt, the Bearcats to struggle offensively and fall squarely on the NCAA tournament bubble. 

Share and discuss “Cincinnati men's basketball 2016-17 season preview ” on social media.