What to watch for at Countdown to Craziness

<p>Sophomore Luke Kennard hit some big shots as a freshman and could flourish in Saturday night's up-tempo scrimmage at Countdown to Craziness.</p>

Sophomore Luke Kennard hit some big shots as a freshman and could flourish in Saturday night's up-tempo scrimmage at Countdown to Craziness.

Ahead of Duke's annual Countdown to Craziness showcase Saturday night, The Chronicle's Amrith Ramkumar breaks down five things to keep an eye on when the Blue Devils take the court in front of the Cameron Crazies. Doors will open to Cameron Indoor Stadium at 6 p.m. Saturday, with the team's blue-white scrimmage getting underway at 8:25 p.m.

Will Grayson take flight?

At Duke's media day earlier this month, head coach Mike Krzyzewski said he and his staff want to pace All-American guard Grayson Allen during preseason practice and throughout the year, noting that the junior's style of play leads to a lot of hits and time spent on the floor. Allen sat out during the Blue Devils' open practice Oct. 1, but it will be interesting to see if and how much he plays during Duke's scrimmage Saturday night. 

The Jacksonville, Fla., native has been tabbed the early favorite to win National Player of the Year by most outlets, and could put on a show in a fast-paced scrimmage. There was no dunk contest at Countdown to Craziness in 2015, but if there is a dunk contest this year, Allen would be one of the favorites. He won the McDonald's All-American Game Dunk Contest in high school before taking second behind Marshall Plumlee at Duke's event in 2014.

Who brings the ball up

Krzyzewski noted that the only players who likely could not bring the ball up the court after getting a defensive rebound are big men Chase Jeter, Marques Bolden and Javin DeLaurier. It will be interesting to see the comfort level forwards like Jayson Tatum and Amile Jefferson have dribbling up the floor during Saturday's scrimmage. Allen, freshman Frank Jackson and sophomore Luke Kennard would seem to be the team's main ball handlers, but Duke could be even more dangerous if its forwards get comfortable initiating the offense.

Sophomore standouts?

Kennard and Jeter had up-and-down freshman seasons and seem to have faded into the background so far in preseason practice, with the Blue Devils' latest recruiting class and veterans like Allen and Jefferson earning most of the accolades. But Duke will need major contributions from role players, and Kennard and Jeter could make a big impact starting Saturday. Given the sharpshooter's offensive skills, Kennard has a chance to stand out if he can defend Jackson and Allen well, especially since the Blue Devils are expected to rely heavily on senior Matt Jones' defense at the guard spot this year.

A former five-star big man, Jeter struggled for most of the 2015-16 season but has reportedly made big strides in the offseason. The Las Vegas native is part of Duke's loaded frontcourt, and how he fares against Bolden and Jefferson under the bright lights could give the 6-foot-10 big man confidence going forward.

Potential coming-out party for Tatum

Jahlil Okafor showed how dominant he could be at this event in 2014, and last year it was Brandon Ingram's turn to flash his potential. With forward Harry Giles sidelined for the foreseeable future following a knee scope, Tatum appears to be the freshman most likely to have a big night. The 6-foot-8 swingman has a smooth jump shot and the length to get to the bucket with ease, which should make him a tough cover throughout the year.

Five-star recruits in the building

Countdown to Craziness is also known for offering recruits a chance to get to know the Cameron Crazies, and it will be interesting to see which Class of 2017 stars look comfortable Saturday night. Among the touted prospects expected to be in attendance are five-star guards Gary Trent Jr. and Quade Green and five-star big man Wendell Carter. Duke is currently the favorite to land Trent Jr. and Carter and the Blue Devils are one of Green's final five schools. 

Share and discuss “What to watch for at Countdown to Craziness” on social media.