Botox can treat women's bladder problems better than other therapies, according to study

<p>A study led by&nbsp;Cindy L. Amundsen found that Botox is a more effective treatment for&nbsp;women’s urinary incontinence than other therapies.&nbsp;</p>

A study led by Cindy L. Amundsen found that Botox is a more effective treatment for women’s urinary incontinence than other therapies. 

Women have a new reason to turn to Botox, and it doesn't have to do with cosmetics.

A recent study led by Dr. Cindy L. Amundsen, urogynecologist and Roy T. Parker professor of obstetrics and gynecology, found that botulinum toxin, commonly known as Botox, beats out an implanted nerve-stimulating device in the treatment of women’s urinary incontinence, or the loss of bladder control. 

“[Urinary incontinence] is a common problem, present in approximately 17 percent of women over 45, and 27 percent of women over 75,” Amundsen said.

Presently, treatment for UI occurs in a multi-step process. First-line therapies for UI entail simple lifestyle changes such as drinking fewer caffeinated beverages and exercising. If these efforts are unsuccessful, medication can be prescribed as second-line treatment.

In severe cases, third-line treatment may include Botox bladder injections or an implanted device which sends electrical pulses to a nerve affecting the urinary system.

Prior to Amundsen's recent publication, no definitive research had favored one third-line therapy over the other.

Amundsen stressed that there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for UI.

"Because there is such a large number of patients with this issue, we must consider each patient's situation when deciding on a particular treatment," she said. "Some women respond to different treatments, and Botox is a completely viable option."

Beginning in 2012, less than a year after Botox was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for UI treatment, Amundsen and her team recruited 364 women seeking third-line UI intervention. The researchers started a trial comparing Botox injections and the implanted device through monthly diaries and questionnaires tracking episodes of UI, general symptoms and satisfaction with the treatments.

Researchers found that the Botox treatment led to fewer episodes of UI per day and higher patient satisfaction when compared to the implant.

But the treatment is not without its negative side effects. Botox "resulted in a higher risk of urinary tract infections and need for transient self-catheterizations," according the research paper.

Although Botox is widely known as a cosmetic luxury, the injection also contains a neurotoxin which can induce muscle paralysis, making it useful for treating overactive nerves and muscles.

Amundsen explained that Botox is also a beneficial therapeutic agent for various medical issues, such as excessive sweating, migraines and muscle spasms.

Since Botox’s FDA approval, Amundsen said that she has prescribed the therapy for patients with positive results. And with her recent findings, it seems that that Botox use for patients with UI may increase in the future.

Amundsen said she hopes that new breakthroughs will lead to more effective and optimized treatment options, and ultimately, a greater quality of life for her patients.

"Advancement in technology and in research are constantly changing the medical landscape," she said. "It will allow optimal treatment for UI patients in the future."

Share and discuss “Botox can treat women's bladder problems better than other therapies, according to study ” on social media.