SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Ryan Thompson game-winner snaps 2-game losing streak for Duke men's soccer

<p>Markus Fjortoft's first goal of the season gave the Blue Devils a 1-0 lead Tuesday and was just Duke's second of the year to come&nbsp;in the first half.&nbsp;</p>

Markus Fjortoft's first goal of the season gave the Blue Devils a 1-0 lead Tuesday and was just Duke's second of the year to come in the first half. 

On a cloudy evening, Duke’s energy level matched the weather.

But despite being flat for much of the game, the Blue Devils broke through in the 88th minute to notch their third win of the season.

With graduate student Ryan Thompson’s last-gasp goal in the waning minutes at Koskinen Stadium Tuesday evening, Duke snuck past Georgia Southern 2-1 to get back in the win column for the first time in more than two weeks. The Cary, N.C., native’s first goal of the season came 18 seconds later than junior Brian White’s match-winner when the Blue Devils won at then-No. 9 UCLA Sept. 2.

“One of the big things [head coach John] Kerr preaches is being on the weak side whenever the ball gets wide,” Thompson said. “Once the play was developing and we got the ball down that far side, I knew if I came in on the back post, something might happen.”

Offensive chances throughout the evening were few and far between for Duke. Although the Blue Devils outshot Georgia Southern 14-9, Duke (3-2-1) mustered just five shots on goal. Part of the offensive struggles can be attributed to the Eagles’ gameplan—Georgia Southern (3-4-1) pressed throughout the night, utilizing a 4-3-3 formation and a high back line that drew four early offsides calls on the Blue Devils.

Some of the blame, though, belongs to a Duke offense that simply struggled to create chances, even when it was able to get the ball into the final third.

“We have to fine-tune our offense and get our shots on goal,” Kerr said. “We had some moments where the play was good and we got into the final third, but then the last pass or the last run wasn’t there, so we need to really work on that.”

Much of the first half saw both sides pushing the ball forward, then failing to create any real pressure on goal. The teams combined for only eight shots and just two corner kicks in the first period. Duke, however, was able to take an early lead when Thompson looped a cross into the Eagle box, finding the right foot of junior defender Markus Fjortoft, who volleyed it home for his first goal of the season.

“I always like to be an offensively-minded defender,” Fjortoft said. “That’s a way for me to set myself apart and that’s how I like to play. They were pretty deep tonight and it gave me a lot of space and I love that.”

Kerr added a wrinkle to his starting lineup Tuesday evening, starting junior midfielder Noah Snyder in place of freshman Max Moser. 

Moser played just 38 minutes—his fewest this season— with freshman forward Colby Agu playing only 25 and rookie midfielder Brandon Williamson failing to see action for the first time this season. And although freshman Suniel Veerakone has made his mark offensively so far with two goals and an assist, the other Blue Devil newcomers have struggled to make an impact in the team’s early games.

“It’s not easy because now it’s a big step up, both physically and mentally,” Kerr said. “Now they’re playing against guys that are three or four years older than them and with a lot more experience.”

Georgia Southern’s only first-half shot on goal came on what nearly proved to be a game-deciding mistake by Duke midfielder Cameron Moseley. The junior attempted to head a free kick out of bounds, but instead headed it past Blue Devil goalkeeper Robert Moewes, leveling the game at one apiece before halftime.

Luckily for Duke, Moewes came to play in the second half as the Eagles peppered him with shots throughout the final 45 minutes. The Dortmund, Germany, native made five second-half saves, including two critical stops that provided his team with the spark it needed to make one last push and eke out a victory. Moewes entered the game tied for third in the ACC with 22 saves.

“Rob’s a good example of [bringing constant energy,]” Kerr said. “He stepped up and he’s ready for it. Our guys, at moments, looked really sharp and really good. But we have to execute and we have to put teams away.”

With the win, Duke now has the opportunity to carry momentum into Friday’s home matchup with Pittsburgh—both sides will be looking to earn their first ACC win of the season.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Kevon Black headed the ball past Moewes for an own goal instead of Moseley. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “Ryan Thompson game-winner snaps 2-game losing streak for Duke men's soccer” on social media.