MRI confirms star safety DeVon Edwards suffered season-ending torn ACL and MCL at Notre Dame

<p>DeVon Edwards suffered a career-ending knee injury Saturday afternoon and finishes his Duke career as one of the most accomplished players in program history.</p>

DeVon Edwards suffered a career-ending knee injury Saturday afternoon and finishes his Duke career as one of the most accomplished players in program history.

An MRI confirmed that star safety and kickoff returner DeVon Edwards tore his ACL and MCL on Duke's first kickoff return at Notre Dame Saturday and will miss the rest of the season, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on his weekly teleconference Sunday.

A redshirt senior, Edwards was unable to put any weight on his left leg as he was helped off the field. The Blue Devils rallied without the Covington, Ga., native to pull off a 38-35 upset but now will have to navigate their final eight games without one of their best players and captains. 

Edwards was an All-ACC defensive back and All-American kickoff returner who finishes his Duke career with the second-most kickoff returns for touchdowns in NCAA history—six. Because Edwards was a fifth-year senior this year, he is not eligible for a sixth year of eligibility.

Cutcliffe said Edwards would have surgery at a later date. His injury means the Blue Devils have lost two redshirt senior captains and stars for the year after quarterback Thomas Sirk went down with an Achilles injury in late August. 

"We're very saddened for DeVon and his family. He is a great leader, but he is absolutely a great player and a great person," Cutcliffe said. "He'll have to have an impact like Thomas. Thomas has been an inspiration for us all, certainly the team, and now we have another captain thrust into that role. We are with him every step of the way through this."

With Edwards out, junior Alonzo Saxton played most of the game Saturday, finishing with five tackles. Cutcliffe noted that he, defensive coordinator Jim Knowles and safeties coach Matt Guerrieri will assess all of their options on the back end of their defense, which include several underclassmen who have seen action early in the season.

Duke will look to continue rallying amid adversity when it takes on Virginia Saturday at 12:30 p.m. at Wallace Wade stadium.

"I don't think one person can replace DeVon Edwards, there will be multiple opportunities for people," Cutcliffe said. "We've got a week to go to work. We will find the right combination of things to do."

Share and discuss “MRI confirms star safety DeVon Edwards suffered season-ending torn ACL and MCL at Notre Dame” on social media.