Duke Student Government gains 12 new freshmen senators

<p>Newly-elected freshmen senators will be sworn in during Wednesday's Senate meeting.&nbsp;</p>

Newly-elected freshmen senators will be sworn in during Wednesday's Senate meeting. 

Students elected 12 new Duke Student Government freshmen senators Friday.

The newly-elected senators are Shreya Bhatia and Saheel Chodavadia for academic affairs; Gino Nuzzolillo and Uwa Ikionkhan for Durham and regional affairs; Ivan Robles and Ake Kankirawatana for equity and outreach; Brandon Dawson for facilities, environment and the arts; Craig Powers and Dietrich Tribull for residential life; Caroline Sprague and Pranav Ganapathy for services; and Divya Juneja for social culture. They will be sworn in at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

All of the races were contested, Pate noted. There were 11 candidates running for a seat on the Durham and regional affairs committee and 10 students campaigning for a spot in equity and outreach and academic affairs committees. 

Voting was available online between noon Thursday and noon Friday and 843 students cast a ballot, Attorney General Sabriyya Pate wrote in an email.

Last year, DSG leaders were disappointed by low voter turnout. Only 19 percent of freshmen voted in that election.

Although this election saw approximately 50 percent voter turnout, Pate hopes that students will continue to vote in large numbers. 

"I won't be happy until voter turnout is at 100 percent," Pate said. 

Pate was co-attorney general with senior Annie Adair, taking over the position when Adair resigned this summer amid tensions with the executive board

Correction: Pate was co-attorney general with Adair prior to Adair's resignation. It was previously reported that Pate only became attorney general after Adair resigned. The Chronicle regrets the error. 

Share and discuss “Duke Student Government gains 12 new freshmen senators” on social media.