Duke raises minimum wage to $13 an hour

<p>The University will require its&nbsp;contractors to move to the new wage by July 1, 2017.</p>

The University will require its contractors to move to the new wage by July 1, 2017.

Duke will raise its minimum wage to $13 an hour effective Jan. 1, 2017.

The increase—which will affect 1,200 employees—is the second bump in the last two years after the wage was adjusted to $12 an hour last July. All staff who work at least 20 hours a week, 36 weeks a year will receive the raise.

“The new $13 per hour minimum wage, combined with the area’s low cost of living and our comprehensive benefits plan that includes health insurance, retirement, paid time off and financial security benefits, reflects Duke’s commitment to being a leading employer in the area of total compensation,” Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh said in a Duke Today release.

The wage increase will also be given to employees who work for University contractors by July 1, 2017, according to the release.

A gradual increase — by July 2019 — of Duke’s minimum wage to $15 an hour had been a demand of Duke Students and Workers and Solidarity when a group of students occupied the Allen Building in April. Cavanaugh said the change was part of an annual review.

“We review all of our pay ranges annually relative to the local and national markets,” Cavanaugh said in the release. “We will make adjustments as needed based on those assessments.”

Share and discuss “Duke raises minimum wage to $13 an hour” on social media.