Sara Sun Beale to chair search committee for next vice provost for academic affairs

<p>Sara Sun Beale, Charles L. B. Lowndes professor of law, will help&nbsp;develop a list of candidates for the position of vice provost for academic affairs.&nbsp;</p>

Sara Sun Beale, Charles L. B. Lowndes professor of law, will help develop a list of candidates for the position of vice provost for academic affairs. 

The University announced the chair of the committee to select a new vice provost for academic affairs.

Sara Sun Beale, Charles L. B. Lowndes professor of law, will lead the committee, which was formed by Provost Sally Kornbluth. The committee will develop a list of candidates for the position by seeking nominations and applications from the Duke community. They will then arrange interviews with the candidates and submit the names of three finalists for Kornbluth to make the final decision.

“This is a key position within the University’s senior administration,” Kornbluth said in a Duke Today release. “The vice provost must have an understanding of the University’s operating structure and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with all members of the university community.”

The vice provost for academic affairs is responsible for providing support for the academic affairs committee of the Duke Board of Trustees and overseeing the creation of new degree programs. He or she will also oversee the implementation of the strategic plan and ongoing strategic academic initiatives.

The position opened after Keith Whitfield, former vice provost for academic affairs, was named provost of Wayne State University in Detroit April 1. Whitfield began his new role June 1.

Other members of the search committee for the new vice provost for academic affairs include Jim Roberts, executive vice provost for finance and administration, and Randy Kramer, professor of environmental economics and global health and deputy director of the Duke Global Health Institute.

Share and discuss “Sara Sun Beale to chair search committee for next vice provost for academic affairs” on social media.