​Reflect on the real

When I first took the job as editor-in-chief, my friends told me that I was just like Rory Gilmore, the fictional high-achieving journalist in Gilmore Girls. While certainly a favorable comparison, I soon discovered it to be completely empty. Despite the show’s frequent pop culture references and portrayal of a relatable mother-daughter duo, it somewhat lacks in realism. Stressful late nights and problems with unreliable sources are never shown; not once do viewers see Rory wanting to pull her hair out after going over a difficult article or sighing in frustration after her computer glitches for the third time in a single evening.

To the dismay of many avid fans, Rory and her perfect life are simply not real. Although I would certainly love to be Rory (have you seen her boyfriends throughout the series?), I’m beginning to realize that living in an imperfect, flawed world with real news events is much better.

Fictional events and characters may be intriguing and entertaining, but they fail to ignite true passion like a well-written piece of journalism can. Breaking news stories can provoke our emotions and keep us in touch with the rest of the world. Sports articles tie Duke together in mutual support for the Blue Devils and hatred of Chapel Hill, while recess articles can inspire a love for the arts. And opinion articles especially can give our whole campus something to talk about—if you don’t believe me, just check Yik Yak.

At The Chronicle, our job is to provide you with the most accurate, real knowledge to inform you, entertain you, amuse you, anger you—and to give you something to reflect on. Whether it was a Nobel prize win, a Bowl victory or a marathon of protests, this has been an notable year, and I have no doubt that next year will be equally eventful, so you’re not going to want to miss out.

Too often in college do we get so caught up in our own lives that we neglect everything and everyone else around us as we bury ourselves in our work. However, The Chronicle can help you keep in touch with reality. Although your professors can teach you biochemistry and physics, a large part of your education comes from navigating the flurry of campus activities ranging from protests to basketball wins to political scandals. And we’re here to report on all of them as best as we can, guiding you toward the best chance to form your own informed opinion.

If this sounds interesting to you, there are plenty of ways to get involved—no experience required. For those of you who love being in the know, the news section covers the top events on campus, featuring people ranging from presidents of universities to vice presidents of the United States. For the avid sports fan, the best accessory you can wear to Cameron Indoor Stadium isn’t a blue mohawk or body paint: it’s a Chronicle press pass. If a place like the Nasher or an independent film theater sounds more appealing to you, joining the recess section is a great way to learn and share knowledge about the Duke and Durham arts communities.

Have something to say? The opinion section and Editorial Board let you voice your views and engage in campus dialogue. More of a visual person? Our photo staff is rapidly growing and working to incorporate the latest technology in visual media.

And, if you’re the kind of person who pours your heart and soul into your work, try writing a long-form piece for our Towerview section—when you start exploring Duke, who knows what kinds of stories you’ll find?

Living in a bubble may be ignorant bliss, but I encourage you to stay informed about what’s going on at Duke. The events on this campus might even rival what you see on Netflix. And in return, we at The Chronicle promise to provide the most important and accurate information, serve as a campus watchdog and give you something to reflect on.

While Duke may not be a quirky as Stars Hollow and while we may not all talk as fast as Lorelai and Rory, there sure is a lot to talk about here.

To stay up-to-date on all the latest campus news, pick up papers throughout the week, follow us on our Facebook page and Twitter accounts, visit our website, dukechronicle.com and sign up for our daily newsletter and weekly feature, The Dirt, which highlights all the must-know happenings of the week.

Claire Ballentine is a Trinity junior and editor-in-chief of The Chronicle.

Share and discuss “​Reflect on the real” on social media.