The Gothic Reading Room

Located on the second floor of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library, the Gothic Reading Room is the Holy Grail of studying. Surrounded by portraits of many University figures, this is where you come to be inspired.

The Ford Library at Fuqua School of Business

You don't have to be a Fuqua student to take advantage of this business library's resources. Interested in a career in finance, economics or marketing? You will undoubtedly find their extensive catalog of industry and company databases helpful. If you want to feel like a small fish in a big pond or just want to scout out MBA students, come here.

Mad Hatter's

Mad Hatter’s Bakeshop and Cafe is located at the corner of W. Main and Broad Streets making it very accessible to first-year students living on East. Although it looks like a small coffee shop from the outside, Mad Hatter's has a large interior with plenty of space to find a cozy spot and enjoy the afternoon. With free Wi-Fi and a menu with plenty of options (including tasty baked treats) Mad Hatters is a solid place to spend the day studying.

Lilly Library

As a first-year student, Lilly is a place to be seen and attempt to get some work done. With the long tables and older lighting, you can get some reading done but expect to be a bit distracted by your friends on the first floor. You may be better off going to the basement or second floor if you really need to grind out some work. Because of it’s location on East Campus, across the quad from Marketplace, this is a main study spot for first-years.

The Link

The Link is an expansive and flexible campus facility offering innovative spatial and technological approaches to teaching and learning. With several classrooms and study rooms, as well as booths and tables, this is a popular place to work on group projects. Located on the lower level of Perkins Library, The Link is open for use when the library is open. You’ll also find the OIT Service Desk here that loans out iPads, video cameras and computer/phone chargers as well as printing new DukeCards after hours.

The Edge

Similar to The Link, The Edge is an innovative and collaborative study destination. There are nine project rooms available for reservation online and several open lounge and study cubbies for use without reservation. The Edge is also home to the Murthy Digital Studio and the Brandaleone Lab for Data and Visualization Services. Located on the newly renovated first floor of Bostock Library, The Edge has become a solid location for creative thought.

Gross Hall

Gross Hall is located at the corner of Science Dr. and Towerview and is a perfect place to hide away and focus on your schoolwork. While it is primarily used for Chemistry, Public Policy and Social Science lectures, the traffic of students coming in and out of class is easily avoided on the second floor. The ground level also offers electronic shops, work benches, a computer room and plenty of group study rooms to work collaboratively. 

Trinity Cafe

Trinity Cafe is located directly under Marketplace and is extremely convenient for first-year students. The cafe itself offers gourmet coffees, smoothies, fresh pastries, salads, sandwiches and sushi. The space surrounding the cafe is perfect for studying with various tables and booths open to students. There are also multiple classrooms perfect for group projects and for students looking for a quieter working environment. 

Cocoa Cinnamon

This cozy coffee house has two convenient locations and both are prime study spots if you thrive in the cafe atmosphere. You’ll find Durham hipsters and Duke students working side by side. It can get pretty busy so try and avoid during peak morning hours. If you feel the need to get off campus and want an ample supply of great coffee to keep you plugged in, this is your place.