East Campus Housing
East Campus was Duke University’s Woman’s College before housing all first-year students. Before it was part of Duke, it was used as a fair ground and racetrack.
Alspaugh: Opened in 1926, Alspaugh is named for Joseph W. Alspaugh, chairman of the committee that steered Duke through financial straits in the 1880s, and houses 125 first-year residents.
Bassett: Opened in 1927, Bassett is named for history professor John Spencer Bassett, whose controversial views established Trinity College as a leader in its commitment to academic freedom, and houses 125 first-year residents.
Bell Tower: Also known as Hotel Bell for its luxurious renovations, Bell Tower is the only four story residence hall on east and houses 140 first-year students. The tower houses a 6,500-pound bell, more fondly known as “Marse Jack” after Duke President John "Jack" Kilgo.
Blackwell: Opened in 1994, the building is named for Blackwell Park in Durham and is home to approximately 185 first-year students.
Brown: Opened in 1927, Brown residence hall is named for Joseph Gill Brown, a trustee for 34 years, and houses 125 first-year students. It’s also home to the first-year Wellness Living Learning Community.
East House: Opened in 1914 and home to approximately 80 first-year students. Like all other halls on campus, East House is co-ed, with male and female students living on the same floor.
Epworth: The oldest and smallest residence hall on East Campus. Opened in 1894, the building was named for the parish where John Welsley’s father was minister in England in 1896, and houses 50 first-year students.
Gilbert-Addoms: More fondly known as simply “GA,” this residence hall was completed in 1957 and houses 190 first-year students. It’s named after two accomplished Duke professors: Katherine Everett Gilbert, the first woman to be named a full professor, and Ruth Margery Addoms, another distinguished botany professor at the college.
Giles: Opened in 1927 and houses115 first-year students, Giles is named after the first three women who graduated from Trinity College, the Giles sisters.
Jarvis: Completed in the fall of 1912, Jarvis Residence Hall opened for students to move in at the same time as Epworth closed its doors and was declared unsuitable for habitation. The building initially served as a men's dorm until the opening of West Campus and the creation of the Woman’s College in 1930. Thomas Jordan Jarvis (1836-1915) was a North Carolina politician a longtime Trinity College trustee.
Pegram: Opened in 1927 and named after William H. Pegram, Pegram is home to the Performing Arts Living/Learning Community, and houses 125 first-year students. Late night jam-sessions are not uncommon.
Randolph: Opened in 1994, the hall is named for Randolph County, North Carolina, the original location of Trinity College, and is home to approximately 180 first-year students.
Southgate: Despite its lengthy distance from the Marketplace, Southgate has a number of perks, not to mention its proximity to Whole Foods. Opened in 1921, the building was a gift from the citizens of Durham in memory of James H. Southgate, it houses 140 first-year students and features a game-room and an indoor basketball.
Wilson: Wilson Residence Hall was built during the expansion of the Trinity College campus after the reception of the Duke endowment. Originally named the Faculty Apartments, the building was named in honor of Dean Mary Grace Wilson at the 1970 commencement ceremony upon her retirement.
Other East Campus buildings:
Brodie Gym: Originally named Memorial Gymnasium, it was built in 1923 as a memorial to the men who died in WWI. It was built with donations from Angier B. Duke and his sister Mary Duke Biddle. The Memorial Gymnasium is now part of a larger recreational facility called the Keith and Brenda Brodie Recreation Center in honor of the former Duke President and his wife. Today, it’s commonly known as “Brodie.”
Marketplace: The East Campus Union, which opened in 1927, is the center of student life on East Campus. The facility boasts a convenience store, mailboxes, social space and two dining facilities: Trinity Cafe and Marketplace.
Duke Coffeehouse: Located within the Crowell building on East Campus, the Duke Coffeehouse is a mecca for alternative culture at Duke as well as a link between the University and the Durham community. The Coffeehouse was founded in 1981 by SHARE (Student Housing for Academic and Residential Experimentation, Duke's first non-Greek selective living group), and run by SHARE until 2003, when it reopened under the administrative umbrella of the Duke University Union. During the week, students study and socialize amidst the aroma of fresh brewed coffee. On the weekends, the Coffeehouse is transformed into a live venue for local and touring musicians, plays, open mics and student performances.