Board of Trustees expected to launch search for President Richard Brodhead's successor at meeting

The Board will also approve degrees prior to graduation

The Board of Trustees is expected to approve the University’s annual budget and begin the search process for President Richard Brodhead’s successor at its meeting this weekend.

Last month, Brodhead announced his plans to step down at the end of the 2016-17 academic year. David Rubenstein, Trinity '70 and chair of the Board, said in a Duke Today release when Brodhead made the announcement that the Board would appoint a presidential search committee at its May meeting.

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, confirmed that the Board is expected to start the search process at this weekend’s meeting. The committee is slated to consist of faculty, students, alumni and Trustees.

The University is expected to put up a website by next week that will provide information about the search and serve as a forum for Duke community members to share input and nominations with the committee.

The Board is also expected to approve the annual budget for the 2016-17 fiscal year, Schoenfeld said. The annual budget for the 2015-16 fiscal year was $2.3 billion, which was a 3.6 percent increase from the 2014-15 fiscal year budget.

As it does at its meeting every May, the Board is expected to approve the degrees prior to graduation.

“You don’t graduate until both the Academic Council and the Board of Trustees vote,” Schoenfeld said.

The Academic Council voted Thursday to approve the degrees and send them to the Board. 

The co-chairs of the task force on bias and hate issues—Linda Burton, dean of social sciences and professor of sociology, and Kelly Brownell, dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy—will speak with the Board regarding the task force's report released earlier this month.

The University will consider forming a committee to respond to the task force’s recommendations during the summer, Schoenfeld said.

William Boulding, dean of the Fuqua School of Business, will also speak to the Board about the state of affairs at Fuqua.

Schoenfeld added that the Board is expected to approve two new degree programs—a master’s degree in Quantitative Management and a Ph.D. program in Computational Media, Arts and Culture—that were approved by the Academic Council Thursday. 

The Board plans to discuss upcoming renovations to East Campus as well. The Chronicle reported in January that a new residence hall, replacing Epworth, Jarvis and East House, is expected to begin construction in August.

In other business, the Board is scheduled to discuss a trip the Trustees made to Duke Kunshan University last month and will receive reports on the progress of both the Duke Forward fundraising campaign and ongoing campus construction. 

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees expected to launch search for President Richard Brodhead's successor at meeting” on social media.