The heard (and the herd)

parentheticals

Last week, the voices of those who do not or cannot speak were upheld and preserved; the Supreme Court denied a challenge against “one person, one vote.”

(I recently familiarized myself with the fundamental principles behind this catchy, patriotic phrase and the implications of protecting it in the April 4 Supreme Court case. Here’s a quick rundown:

The one-person, one-vote idea stems from the noble philosophy that everyone—those who vote and those who do not—should be represented within their government, since all people have the right to government services, according to Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Jurisdictions have been required to demarcate legislative districts based on total population, a figure that factors in registered voters, unregistered voters and ineligible voters, in order to fairly allocate seats of Congress and state legislatures to various communities.

A lower court in Texas challenged this basic democratic principle, as certain conservative groups saw their votes diluted by non-voters in other districts. They hoped that that the power of the vote could be returned to these districts by using solely the total number of eligible voters as the basis for defining district lines. The Supreme Court—even though its eight votes could have been potentially deadlocked—saw this as an attempt to undermine the representation of all Americans in their government, and unanimously shot down the lower court’s decision.

Perhaps we, at Duke, overlooked this case due to the fact that a ruling upheld by the Supreme Court rarely draws mass attention. Perhaps because it was just a hectic, noisy week. But we must recognize the pervasive impact that the reinforced and re-mandated protection of “one person, one vote” has upon us as Americans and as students of Duke University.

The United States, like many countries, has obstacles embedded within the processes of voter registration and voting itself. The Elections Performance Index released by The PEW Center On The States indicates there are inconsistencies in rejections of voter registrations and similar variations in absentee-ballot complications, voting information availability and voting wait-time.

However, this nation is built upon the principle that all people deserve to be represented, and thus heard, in their government. In the U.S., “one person, one vote” is the solution to maintaining democracy in a flawed voting system; according to this notion, a person’s vote is representative of their children, their undocumented housekeeper and their non-voting neighbors who make their own political statement by blasting Bob Marley and flying a pirate flag over their house.

In essence, “one person, one vote” strengthens the voices of those who choose not to—or are unable to—make their voices heard at the ballot box. It protects a mainstay of democracy: the notion that although certain individuals hold more formal, directly effective power due to the nature of placing an official vote, all voices can be heard, all perspectives might be honored and all people are represented.

Last week, nine students in the Allen Building held such a practice: a more formal, directly effective power. And yet, as a community, we did not hear all voices, we did not honor all perspectives, and we did not represent all people. We didn’t reflect upon potent philosophy of “one person, one vote.” Worse, we have no excuse for failing to do so.

Duke is, and isn’t, a microcosm of the U.S. We face similar experiences and hold similar conversations to those within our country, due to our “dual allegiance” to both Duke and the United States.

Yet, Duke has a significant advantage, differentiating its fabric from that of the broader country. While it is almost impossible in the United States for each and every American to have the opportunity to be heard in a formalized, respected and influential voice in the larger societal conversation, it is surprisingly easy to do so at Duke.

Indeed, some might say that there are too many means by which a Duke community member can go about sharing their individual perspectives and broadcasting their voices to the masses. On any given day, there’s always somebody saying something here, whether it be in the form of an informational table on the plaza, a political watch-party in an East Campus common room, a club meeting in the Duke Gardens, a provocative musical in Reynolds Theater or, yes, a fiery protest—or sit-in—on the quad. All of these voices are heard without exception. Everyone at Duke who wants to speak their mind…can. Here, we have the chance for each and every person to be represented. All voices are audible on this campus.

However, last week, and in many of the on-campus conversations in the past, the rest of the Duke community has not taken advantage of the opportunity. Those who have spoken with a personal and narrow focus have failed to represent their peers, or—worse yet—to welcome other voices, and those who have been “unspoken” have failed to pursue the formation of a meaningful dialogue, or have given in to the inclination toward apathy. As a whole, “one person, one vote” has been diluted at Duke, not by some rogue lower-court ruling, but by a disconnect to our own voices, and to the voices of others.

Where I see hope is in the main reason I chose to attend Duke at this time a year ago. At Duke, opportunities abound. It is an imposing institution, yet built into it are myriad paths toward making a footprint, attaining a significant voice, creating success. We must look to what the Supreme Court has upheld in “one person, one vote,” and we must improve. As individuals and as a community, we must seek out the opportunities to represent the diverse voices that comprise this campus, and we must listen and respond to each other, in order to have a conversation. There’s no excuse not to, as there are more than enough ways to be heard at Duke.

The application to be a fall columnist for The Chronicle is due on Sunday. Just saying.)

Jackson Prince is a Trinity freshman. His column runs on alternate Tuesdays. 

Share and discuss “The heard (and the herd)” on social media.