Free food truck rodeo postponed to next Tuesday

The rodeo was supposed to take place before the Old Duke concert Friday

<p>Food trucks have become increasingly popular in Durham and the University has made an effort to take advantage of the trucks during the construction of the West Union.&nbsp;</p>

Food trucks have become increasingly popular in Durham and the University has made an effort to take advantage of the trucks during the construction of the West Union. 

Although it was initially announced that students would be able to enjoy a free food truck rodeo before the Old Duke concert Friday, this event has been moved to next Tuesday.

The rodeo is planned to take place from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Bryan Center surface lot. Current food truck Mixed Korean will be joined at the event by several new trucks:  Qspresso, a Cuban truck; Dusty Donuts; Soomsoom Pita Pockets; Baozi, a barbeque-Asian bun fusion truck; and American Meltdown, a grilled cheese food truck.

Last year, the event—which is a partnership between Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee and Duke Student Government—attracted more than 1,000 students.

“We want to build off the momentum from last year to make this a staple of Duke’s spring on-campus programming,” senior JP Lucaci, vice president of services for DSG, wrote in an email.

The trucks will be serving small portions of their most popular menu items in order to give students an idea of the fare each truck offers. During the event, students will be given 10 tickets that total $10 in value to spend at any of the food trucks.

Lucaci explained that the event was planned for Tuesday in an accessible location—rather than on the weekend in a less convenient location—in order to maximize student attendance.

Sophomore Julia Medine, the chair of the off-campus vendors committee for DUSDAC, added that the rodeo could not be held on the originally scheduled date because DSG could not secure a location.

Medine added that the event will also serve as an opportunity for students to help weigh in on new trucks that could be added to the food truck rotation on campus. Last year, Belgian Waffology debuted at the food truck rodeo and its subsequent popularity led DUSDAC to push it to the regular lineup.

“It’s an excellent way for DUSDAC to have student feedback and for local businesses to engage with the Duke community,” Medine wrote in an email.

Share and discuss “Free food truck rodeo postponed to next Tuesday” on social media.