Former Duke women's basketball star Azurá Stevens to transfer to Connecticut

<p>Azurá Stevens led Duke in scoring and rebounding but will transfer to Connecticut after two seasons in Durham.</p>

Azurá Stevens led Duke in scoring and rebounding but will transfer to Connecticut after two seasons in Durham.

Former Duke star Azurá Stevens will transfer to Connecticut, the Husky program announced Saturday afternoon.

Stevens—who announced that she would transfer April 1 after two seasons in Durham—was the Blue Devils' leading scorer and rebounder last season, averaging 18.9 points and 9.6 rebounds per contest en route to first-team All-ACC honors.

The Cary, N.C., native was a decorated high school player and will look to fill the void in Connecticut's frontcourt left by four-time national champion and No. 1 overall WNBA draft pick Breanna Stewart, who recently completed her storybook career. Stevens will join one of the most dominant programs in all of sports—the Huskies have won 11 national championships led by head coach Geno Auriemma—but will have to sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules.

"Words can't express how excited I am to have this opportunity to be part of the UConn family,” Stevens said in a release. “I appreciate the hospitality that my teammates and coaches showed to me this weekend. I am eager to start my new journey with the Huskies and can't wait to get back up to Storrs this summer! Go Huskies!"

Share and discuss “Former Duke women's basketball star Azurá Stevens to transfer to Connecticut” on social media.