RECESS  |  CULTURE

Music Review: Zayn's 'Mind of Mine'

On March 25, 2015, Zayn announced his separation from the intensely popular boy band One Direction and exactly one year later, on March 25, 2016, the world was blessed with the release his first solo album, “Mind of Mine.” With a sultry R&B-like sound, it’s an understatement to say that Zayn’s new music is a departure from the happy, indie-pop songs he and his bandmates used to produce. Gone is Zayn: The Member of One Direction. In his place is Zayn: The Man Who Has Sex and Does Drugs (and who wants us to know it). 

Although undoubtedly a strong and talented vocalist, Zayn and his musical abilities in this album are undermined by the feeling that it was created solely for the sake of being different. From the Lil Wayne-esque cover, which depicts a young Zayn covered in his present-day tattoos, to the unconventional capitalization of the songs (i.e., “BoRdErSz,” “tRuTh,” “lUcOzAdE”) to the album’s intensely sexual themes, “Mind of Mine” seems more like an act of teenage rebellion than the product of a seasoned artist. His new sound is enticing and has drawn comparisons to artists such as The Weeknd, Usher and Jeremih, but Zayn has yet to distinguish himself in the world of R&B as more than just “the one who used to be in a boy band.”

That’s not to say there aren’t good songs on the album.“Pillowtalk,” which reached number one on various music charts worldwide, is catchy and fun, and the intermission song “Flower,” which is sung entirely in Zayn’s father’s native language of Urdu, gives us a glimpse of the versatility of which the artist is capable. While “Like I Would” and “BeFour” are also memorable, some of the other brooding, slow-paced songs tend to blend together with the same subject matter and the same sound.

Overall, “Mind of Mine” is not a bad album. Like any album, it has hits, duds and songs that you’ll forget a second after they’re over. However, one thing is certain. With its release, Zayn is not likely to fade into the background or be mistaken for an innocent member of a boy band any time soon.

Share and discuss “Music Review: Zayn's 'Mind of Mine'” on social media.