LGBTQ students in SLGs present ways to increase inclusivity

Tuesday's panel was part of Greek Ally Week

At an event for the third annual Greek Ally Week, a panel of LGBTQ students discussed their experiences as queer students in selective living groups on campus.

The panel of 11 students included members of the Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council, the SLG Wayne Manor and National Pan-Hellenic Council. The discussion focused on coming out, going through the competitive recruitment process as an LGBTQ student and students feeling like token LGBTQ members of living groups.

“There are closeted people in your organizations,” said Jeremy Gottlieb, a sophomore in the all-male SLG Wayne Manor. “I can probably guarantee that for all of you.”

A point emphasized by many panelists was the heteronormativity of many Greek events, such as date functions.

“I think about things a lot more than the classic straight person,” one panelist said. “For example, when we have ‘My Ties’ every semester, that just gets under my skin. It’s the most annoying event that sororities hold.”

During recruitment—especially for Interfraternity Council organizations—the panelists noted that they felt calling attention to their identity would put them at a “competitive disadvantage.”

“After going through rush this year and realizing that I was part of the problem not always bringing guys to date functions or the [semi-formals], I made a pledge to always bring a guy to date functions,” Gottlieb said. “Guys bring girls as friends, and girls bring girls as friends, but it’s super taboo for guys to bring guys as friends. I think actively doing that and showing people it’s okay is something I can do and allies could also do.”

Overall, the panelists described very different experiences identifying as LGBTQ within their organizations, but the students that came out after joining noted that they were worried about how they would be perceived.

Despite these fears, the panelists said that they were generally relieved by the reactions of their organizations after coming out. Within some organizations, there is a strong sense of community among LGBTQ members, the panelists explained.

“We have a group text—it’s called Bi Omega,” one student said.

Panelists explained that some inappropriate comments are still made, but noted how much they appreciated support from within their chapters.

“I often get asked questions, and it’s pretty meaningful to me when someone says, ‘Hey, I noticed this happened in chapter and I wanted to hear your thoughts about that,’” another panelist said.

The panel was followed by a brief question and answer session in which audience members asked about how to make events more inclusive.

Junior Savannah Story, a member of the sorority Delta Delta Delta, said that instead of a “My Tie,” an event in which girls wear the ties of their male dates, her sorority held a “My Hat” to allow girls to bring non-male dates.

One student also mentioned that including SLGs in events between sororities and fraternities are an option to make traditional Greek events more inclusive.

Greek Ally Week aims to provide support for members of Greek organizations on campus and spread awareness about issues facing the LGBTQ community. As a whole, Greek Ally Week has 310 participants registered across all Greek organizations, said senior Tyler Nelson, president of Blue Devils United, in an introduction to the panel.

Update: After a miscommunication between event organizers and The Chronicle, panelist names were removed from this article to protect students' identities. 

Share and discuss “LGBTQ students in SLGs present ways to increase inclusivity” on social media.