DUSDAC presents feedback on Devil's Krafthouse

The first-floor West Union pub opened last month

<p>Monday's DUSDAC meeting took place at the Devil's Krafthouse in the West Union.</p>

Monday's DUSDAC meeting took place at the Devil's Krafthouse in the West Union.

The Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee discussed the food quality and service in Devil's Krafthouse one month after its opening in its meeting Monday night.

Members of DUSDAC gave their feedback to Andy Perno, the operator of Devil’s Krafthouse—which was the first vendor to open in the renovated West Union Feb. 29. Several students on the committee expressed positive attitudes about the quality of the food, but were critical of the speed of service.

“That’s our issue right now, we’ve got to get the food out faster,” Perno said.

DUSDAC member Nelson Winrow, a junior, also suggested posting a larger menu or stocking additional menus to pass out so that people have more time to decide while they are waiting in line as one way of reducing the wait time.

Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey noted that having a larger menu is being considered as one update to the space as it changes when the rest of West Union fully opens.

The menu DUSDAC members sampled from during the meeting included quesadillas, chicken wings, burgers, veggie burgers, French fries and sweet potato tater tots. 

Perno said he hoped to expand the menu by trying to add new specials depending on what is popular with students.

Several students brought up dietary concerns, such as providing vegan and gluten-free options. Perno noted that he already has several options on the menu that are gluten-free. Several DUSDAC members suggested emphasizing these options on the menu to minimize the effort of looking up ingredients online.

Sophomore Marcelo Zapata asked about whether the space would potentially cater to theme nights. Perno said that trivia night Thursdays and karaoke Fridays will become regular events and are planned for this week. He emphasized the challenge of balancing group requests to rent the space with student demand for daily dinner.

“We are working to have parties and events but also want to make sure it’s available to students for dinner each night,” Perno said.

DUSDAC Chair Brian Taylor, a senior, asked about the possibility of delivery. Perno noted that he was open to the possibility at some point in the future.

Coffey said there is still a lot of flexibility surrounding the space. He explained that here will be a glass wall and courtyard surrounding the space instead of the current white walls. Coffey also added that DUSDAC will get a sneak peek of the West Union April 27.

“It’s going to look a lot different when you get back here next August,” he said.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC presents feedback on Devil's Krafthouse” on social media.