Amile Jefferson to miss rest of season, Duke will seek medical redshirt

<p>Senior Amile Jefferson will miss the rest of the season, the Blue Devils announced Saturday.</p>

Senior Amile Jefferson will miss the rest of the season, the Blue Devils announced Saturday.

Duke senior captain Amile Jefferson will miss the remainder of the season and will seek a medical hardship waiver, the team announced Saturday afternoon.

Jefferson has not played since suffering a fracture in his right foot Dec. 12. According to the team release, doctors determined his foot had not sufficiently healed to enable a comeback attempt this season.

The 6-foot-9 forward was not able to make enough progress to step back onto the court in game action, though he had been participating in practice on a limited basis in recent weeks. During games, the Philadelphia native has been in a walking boot for most of ACC play, though he did shed the extra protection for a few games midway through the conference slate before the boot reappeared.

Jefferson was averaging a double-double through nine games before going down near the end of nonconference play. To be eligible for a medical redshirt, a player may not play in more than 30 percent of his team's games, a mark Jefferson is assured to be below as Duke plays its 31st game Saturday.

The Blue Devils have misssed Jefferson's production on the glass, but have gone 14-7 in his absence heading into Saturday night's regular season finale against North Carolina. The Blue Devils will receive a double-bye in the ACC tournament with a win against the Tar Heels, but would be the No. 5 seed with a loss.

Share and discuss “Amile Jefferson to miss rest of season, Duke will seek medical redshirt” on social media.