2016 NCAA tournament preview: Utah Runnin' Utes

Utah Runnin’ Utes

Record: (26-8, 13-5 Pac-12)

Head coach: Larry Krystkowiak (5th season)

Season Recap: Utah has shown that its offense can handle the toughest defenses that the tournament has to offer. The Runnin’ Utes average 77.6 points per game and own wins against some of the nation’s best defensive teams in San Diego State and California. Sophomore forward Jakob Poeltl leads the team on the glass with 9.0 rebounds per game and pours in 17.6 points per game to pace his team in scoring. Four other key Utah players return from last year's team to create a balanced attack around the Austrian 7-footer, with all five starters scoring at least 9.6 points per game. Jordan Loveridge provides a perimeter threat at 40.2 percent from long range, and guards Brandon Taylor and Lorenzo Bonam can get in the lane with their speed and handle.

The Runnin’ Utes owned a nine-game win streak before getting blown out by Oregon 88-57 in the Pac-12 tournament title game. An NCAA tournament berth now gives the group an opportunity to return to their winning form and try to best their Sweet 16 finish from a season ago.

How they make a run: Poeltl proves too talented to slow down without constant double-teams and makes the extra pass outside to open perimeter shooters as Utah carves its way to the second weekend.

How they falter: The Runnin' Utes falter against high-octane defenses, succumbing to the same turnover woes that plagued them against Oregon, when they coughed it up 20 times.

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: Utah Runnin' Utes” on social media.