Sirk ruptures left Achilles tendon, set for surgery Wednesday

The Duke quarterback suffered the same injury to his right Achilles in 2013

<p>Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk suffered a ruptured left&nbsp;Achilles tendon Tuesday morning.</p>

Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk suffered a ruptured left Achilles tendon Tuesday morning.

Duke quarterback Thomas Sirk suffered a ruptured left Achilles tendon Tuesday morning during a team conditioning session and will undergo surgery Wednesday morning, the program announced Tuesday.

No timetable has been set for Sirk's return.

The Glen St. Mary, Fla., native missed the 2013 season after suffering the same injury to his right Achilles tendon in April 2013.

Sirk threw for 2,625 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2015 in his first year as the Blue Devils' starter under center. The signal-caller was also Duke's top rushing threat, plowing ahead for 803 yards on the ground and eight touchdowns.

In the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Sirk earned co-MVP honors after finding pay dirt twice with his legs and throwing for another, helping lead Duke to a comeback victory in overtime and the program’s first bowl win in 54 years. Sirk did suffer an injury late in that game and likely could not have continued if the game progressed to a second overtime, but head coach David Cutclife had said Sirk was doing well in recent weeks.

Backup quarterback Parker Boehme is the likely quarterback in the event that Sirk is not recovered by the team's 2016 season opener Sept. 3 against N.C. Central. Boehme started for Duke against Pittsburgh Nov. 14 after Sirk sustained an upper-body injury and led a Blue Devil comeback that fell just short the next weekend at Virginia.

Share and discuss “Sirk ruptures left Achilles tendon, set for surgery Wednesday” on social media.