Sanford Distinguished Fellow Ross reflects on new position, collaboration with UNC

Tom Ross, President of the University of North Carolina

Tom Ross, president emeritus of the University of North Carolina system, began his fellowship as Duke’s first Terry Sanford Distinguished Fellow Monday. In his new role, Ross will collaborate with faculty and students in the Sanford School of Public Policy and will focus on improving the process of drawing political district lines in the U.S. The Chronicle’s Rob Palmisano spoke with Ross about his transition to Duke, what he hopes to achieve and his thoughts on the Duke-UNC collaboration—and rivalry.

The Chronicle: How did you arrive at Duke? Moreover, what attracted you to it?

Tom Ross: I had some discussions with President [Richard] Brodhead and several of the folks at the Sanford School. These discussions led to our agreeing I would come to Duke beginning in February. I wanted to be sure that if I devoted my time to the Sanford School that I was going to be able to add value to great work going on at Sanford. The Dean [of Sanford Kelly Brownell] and others at Sanford were very supportive and encouraging throughout our discussions.

TC: Do you see yourself applying any of the lessons you obtained as president of Davidson College, then the UNC system, to your new position as the first Terry Sanford Distinguished Fellow?

TR: I hope I’ll apply all of my life’s experiences. I’ve worked extensively with our legislature, and in the United States Congress. I also served 17 years as a judge and later as director of a foundation. I have been involved in public policy in all of my roles and I hope the combination of all of these experiences will help me to connect with students and faculty in a real way, and make a difference.

TC: Has there been anything that’s surprised you about your time at Duke so far?

TR: I don’t know that I have been surprised by anything, but something that has definitely stood out is how welcoming everyone has been to me. It’s been true of just about everybody I’ve met—students, administrators, faculty and that has been incredibly gratifying and satisfying. I am excited to be at Duke and the Sanford School.

TC: How would you describe the collaboration between Duke and UNC on academic and policy-related issues?

TR: One of the proudest moments I’ve ever had as a North Carolinian and as President of UNC was watching the Nobel Prize winners from Duke and Chapel Hill being recognized on the football field during halftime of the Duke-UNC football game this past fall. I believe there’s no greater testament to the scope and scale of the collaboration between the two schools. I am not sure there is a better example of collaboration between a great public university and a great private university than what exists here between Duke and UNC.

TC: If you had to isolate a public policy issue directly affecting Duke and Durham that you are most passionate about, what would it be, and why?

TR: I believe that we have a struggling democracy at this time in our nation and in many of our states and communities. We are a divided people and are almost in a complete gridlock situation in Washington and in many states and communities around the country. Part of the reason, in my view, for our circumstances is the extent of gerrymandering that takes place in the redistricting process. In the age of advancing technology and innovation, it’s never been easier to gerrymander the districts, so I am interested in looking at a independent redistricting commission as a potential solution.

TC: If you could collaborate with students and faculty in the Sanford School on any public-policy-oriented or academic initiative of your own design, what would you organize, and why?

TR: I want to look at how Duke can be a leader locally and nationally in resolving the prevailing issue of gerrymandering. What are some of the factors that are going to be included if you are going to redesign the computer programs for drawing up the districts? What are possible ways to constitute workable independent commissions to handle the redistricting process? I would love to get students and faculty more engaged with this issue, generating templates and brainstorming ideas. I would also love to see Duke convene experts in this area of policy making.

TC: What advice would you give students considering a major or minor in political science or public policy, or who are just simply interested in exploring the field?

TR: The best way to explore the field is to take some courses. If a course or several courses strikes a passion in you, then you should seriously consider pursuing it, because passion leads to success. With respect to majors and minors, we’re at a critical point in our country, in our state, in our world where we’re going to need the most brilliant minds at the forefront of dealing with major public policy decisions, and I hope to see many of the bright Duke students I’ve met so far, and many more, engage in the world of public policy and making a difference in this country and our world. I would also encourage students to pursue internships where they can experience policy making up close and personal and really see if it’s what they want to pursue.

TC: Anything else you’d like to mention we haven’t discussed yet?

TR: Yes! I’m excited to be back on a campus, once again working in direct collaboration with students and faculty. I missed these opportunities in my role at UNC. I have already run into students I know from Davidson and other places and it inspires me to interact with them and other students.

TC: Duke is playing UNC in men’s basketball Feb. 17. Who will you root for?

TR: Well, actually, I am a big Davidson fan. But if Duke is playing UNC, I definitely pull for my law school alma mater—UNC. My brother is a big Duke fan so we have a nice family rivalry.

Share and discuss “Sanford Distinguished Fellow Ross reflects on new position, collaboration with UNC” on social media.