New women’s leadership initiative funded by alumna

<p>Penny Pilgram George, Women’s College ’65, funded the new initiative.</p>

Penny Pilgram George, Women’s College ’65, funded the new initiative.

A new initiative will facilitate programs to make women and female-identified undergraduates better leaders during the next three years.

The Penny Pilgram George Women’s Leadership Initiative—funded by Penny Pilgram George, Women’s College ‘65, and the George Family Foundation—aims to empower students by sponsoring opportunities related to leadership. Managed by the Center for Leadership Development and Social Action, the initiative will include events such as small group discussions, workshops and panels of speakers.

“I know Duke women and female-identified students as very confident leaders but they sometimes don’t see themselves that way,” said Deborah Hackney, associate director for the Center for Leadership Development and Social Action.

Hackney noted that the events will allow women to interact with faculty and staff as well as alumni in conversations about authentic leadership.

Senior Madelaine Katz—who has been involved with the Center for Leadership Development and Social Action— explained that events sponsored by the initiative will include a panel discussion in April that will work with the Innovation and Entrepreneurship office to provide opportunities to interact with entrepreneurs as well as a forum for Muslim women to perform poetry. In addition, the initiative will help fund an alternative spring break trip to San Diego during which participants will study human trafficking in the area.

An aim of the initiative is to provide women on campus, including those in minority groups and first generation college students, with role models, Katz explained.

“Hopefully, we will encourage women leaders from all different backgrounds and they can encourage others,” she said.

Hackney noted that the initiative’s programs will be especially important in light of data on women’s perceptions of their abilities. According to studies on student leadership, women are engaged in leadership roles at the same rates as their male counterparts yet have lower opinions of their roles, she said. Hackney added that she hopes to address the disparity through the initiative.

“We’re not just talking about leadership as a title,” Hackney said. “It’s about behaviors and actions.”

Freshman Anya Bali, who serves as an ambassador for the initiative, said she thinks improving women’s leadership on campus is important because of the challenges women face, including constant levels of competition and the idea of effortless perfection.

“It’s important to be able to say ‘I am a woman and I am a leader and I can be both of these,’” she said.

The majority of events taking place this year will involve workshops and speakers that address topics such as public speaking and confidence building, Bali explained. She noted that initiative organizers will work to expand their offerings in the upcoming years.

“It’s going to be a very exciting opportunity,” Katz said. “The people in charge are very dedicated to it being an inclusive initiative.”

Share and discuss “New women’s leadership initiative funded by alumna” on social media.