Krzyzewski: Jones, Thornton expected to play Thursday

<p>Junior Matt Jones is recovering from a sprained ankle and is expected to play Thursday against&nbsp;Florida State after missing Saturday's loss at Louisville.</p>

Junior Matt Jones is recovering from a sprained ankle and is expected to play Thursday against Florida State after missing Saturday's loss at Louisville.

The Blue Devils were left with limited options in the backcourt Saturday at the KFC Yum! Center, turning to walk-on Nick Pagliuca in the game’s closing seconds after both Grayson Allen and Luke Kennard fouled out in Duke’s 71-64 loss to Louisville.

But reinforcements may be on the way.

Junior Matt Jones and freshman Derryck Thornton are both expected to play Thursday against Florida State, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said on the ACC’s weekly teleconference Monday. Jones suffered a sprained ankle in the first half of the Blue Devils’ win at then-No. 5 North Carolina Wednesday night and sat out of Saturday’s loss, and Thornton suffered a shoulder injury in the second half against the Cardinals as Louisville mounted a comeback.

The Blue Devils did not practice Sunday, but players came in for therapy sessions, leaving Krzyzewski feeling optimistic about their progress.

“Matt’s doing much better,” Krzyzewski said. “Derryck is sore, but there’s no structural damage to his shoulder.”

Jones was ruled out of Saturday’s contest the day before, but progressed quicker than expected and suited up for the game, going through warm-ups with his teammates before sitting on the sidelines. Thornton left the game with nine minutes to go clutching his right shoulder, but returned to the lineup after Allen fouled out and scored two straight baskets to help trim the Louisville lead to two.

With senior captain Amile Jefferson sidelined by a fractured right foot, Duke has navigated around depth issues throughout ACC play, sticking to a rotation rarely expanding outside of seven players. Heavy minutes have taken their toll on the Blue Devils at times, leaving Krzyzewski to manage his team carefully for a second straight year.

“This is as tight as we’ve had to walk,” Krzyzewski said. “With youth, number, injuries, it’s probably our most unusual year in that regard. That’s why I’ve been so pleased with the effort, the cohesiveness [of this group].”

The Blue Devils did not work out Monday and will prepare to take on the Seminoles Thursday at 7 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

Share and discuss “Krzyzewski: Jones, Thornton expected to play Thursday” on social media.