Free speech, housing model among top priorities for YT candidate Max Schreiber

Schreiber is one of three undergraduate Young Trustee finalists. The other finalists are Jamal Edwards and Wills Rooney.

Senior Max Schreiber said that in his campaign for undergraduate Young Trustee, he wants to build a University that is “even better for the next generation of Blue Devils."

Schreiber is the current president of the Interfraternity Council, a former columnist for The Chronicle and the former chief justice of the Duke Student Government Judiciary. As part of his platform, Schreiber said that he supports increasing diversity among faculty in the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences and the Pratt School of Engineering. 

“I realize that we need more diverse faculty," Schreiber said. "Our faculty are very old and a plan that worked very effectively spanned from 1993 to 2003 when Duke implemented the Black Faculty Strategic Initiative."  

Although he supports increasing diversity, Schreiber said he opposes the addition of an intolerance clause to the Duke Community Standard, which he said is currently being pushed for by DSG. Schreiber deemed the clause to be an infringement on students’ right to free speech. 

"Max will be committed to bringing up issues that concern a diverse group of students, he will seek to understand areas that he does not know well and will be an advocate for the voiceless," said Clarybel Peguero, director of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Schreiber emphasized that during the BFSI—which lent financial support and other resources toward helping departments hire more black faculty—the number of black faculty members at Duke doubled. 

Senior Alex Liebmann praised Schreiber's passion towards advocating for student issues. 

“Anyone who has met Max knows that he is passionate about everything he does," Liebmann said. "Max is a fighter. He is not afraid to take a stand on issues important to students. He is articulate and likeable and so he works very well with others."

Schreiber also called for increased security on Central and West Campus after various recent crimes. Schreiber said after a student was robbed at gunpoint Jan. 25, he went to DSG to discuss an increase of security on campus.

“A lot of students, especially Panhellenic women on section, feel that security needs to be increased," he said. "There needs to be a strident security plan that will be top priority for the board. Students should not be afraid to walk on their own campus."

Schreiber also identified current spending priorities that do not reflect the needs of students. He identified the allocation of money to Duke Kunshan University rather than to financial aid as a major problem, noting that students are not constrained by the presence of a satellite campus but rather by financial considerations.

“I don’t know one person who came to Duke because we have a satellite campus in China,” Schreiber said. 

Schreiber emphasized the need to protect the current housing model, in which students can choose to live in a selective living group, sorority, fraternity or independent housing. Schreiber said he opposes "residential college" models, which he noted Duke might be considering, that would force students to live with the same students during the duration of their education at Duke.

“A student would be assigned a dorm and would live there for the entirety of their collegiate experience,” Schreiber said. “I will fight as hard as I possibly can to protect the current residential system. People don’t know about it. It may not happen this year, and it may not happen next year but we need to prepared.”

Correction: Due to an error in reporting, this article was updated to note that Schreiber opposes the addition of an intolerance clause to the community standard. A previous version of the article incorrectly stated that Schreiber supports cultural competency courses, which he opposes. The Chronicle regrets the error. 

Share and discuss “Free speech, housing model among top priorities for YT candidate Max Schreiber” on social media.