Duke women's lacrosse opens season with Campbell, Northwestern

The No. 4 Blue Devils will battle the No. 5 Wildcats Sunday in an early-season test

<p>Goalkeeper Kelsey Duryea will anchor the Duke defense as the Blue Devils try to replace the majority of their scoring on the other end of the field.</p>

Goalkeeper Kelsey Duryea will anchor the Duke defense as the Blue Devils try to replace the majority of their scoring on the other end of the field.

After losing 70 percent of the team’s total scoring from last season, the Blue Devils will kick off the 2016 season hoping to go back to the NCAA tournament’s Final Four.

Duke lost eight seniors to graduation, six of whom came from either the midfield or attacking corps. To counter, Duke head coach Kerstin Kimel brought in 12 freshmen, a class headlined by Olivia Jenner and Ellie Majure.

But the largely inexperienced No. 4 Blue Devil squad will not be eased into competition, opening the campaign against Campbell Thursday at 4 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium and continuing the homestand with a top-five matchup against No. 5 Northwestern Sunday at noon.

Duke’s defense is largely intact though, and led by the play of senior goalkeeper Kelsey Duryea, it should be one of the top units in the nation this season. Duryea ranked 11th and 12th nationally in goals against average and save percentage, respectively, and with a number of returners in front of her, she has a chance to improve on those marks.

“Our defense has really good chemistry. We know where everyone is supposed to be,” Duryea said. “I think the defense knows exactly what they’re supposed to do and what kind of shots I like to see.”

Both Campbell and Northwestern present tough early-season tasks for Duke, as they both return their leading scorers from last season. But with senior Claire Scarrone anchoring the back line, the Blue Devils will be up to the test.

The Camels did not lose any seniors from last year’s squad, but were picked to finish fifth in the Big South preseason coaches’ poll. Campbell's best offensive threat is attacker Loren Day, who set a single-season scoring record for the Camels last season with 56 tallies.

Duke's freshmen got their first taste of college action in a pair of scrimmages Saturday against William & Mary and Coastal Carolina, but Thursday's opener will be their first experience truly in the spotlight. Heading into her final season opener, Duryea may have to calm some early jitters.

"[The freshmen] should realize the opportunity they have. It’s an amazing school to play for,” Duryea said. “Our team is unbelievable and as a senior looking back, it’s crazy four years have gone by so [they need to] take every moment and cherish it—whether it's scoring goals, playing defense, taking the shot, or celebrating on the sidelines, every piece matters.”

After Thursday's match against Campbell, the Blue Devils only have two days to prepare for their toughest nonconference matchup of the season against the Wildcats. Northwestern is led up front by Kaleigh Craig and reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Year Selena Lasota, who combined for 115  goals in 2015. The Wildcats will be fresh, heading to Durham for their season opener.

In last season’s matchup against Northwestern, Duke prevailed 15-9 after allowing only two second-half goals behind nine saves from Duryea.

The Beverly, Mass., native spent her offseason fine-tuning her skills with mainly ground-ball drills in practice, looking to add to her 126 career ground balls. The more active the senior leader is in grabbing loose balls in scrums, the more opportunities the offense has to start odd-man rushes, which in turn leads to more scoring opportunities.

Duryea also participated in shooting drills with attackers to improve her stick skills and develop quicker, more precise outlet passes to kick-start the offense.

With upcoming conference games against No. 2 North Carolina and No. 3 Syracuse on the horizon in ACC play, the season's opening weekend will provide Kimel with a good indication of where her team is heading into the meat of the schedule.

"All the teams that we play give us a different style of lacrosse as people, and they challenge us more importantly. I think that sets us up for success,” Duryea said. “[We are] just trying to grow as a team ourselves and also to prepare ourselves for the upcoming season.”

Share and discuss “Duke women's lacrosse opens season with Campbell, Northwestern” on social media.