Classes before 5 p.m. Monday cancelled due to winter weather

<p>Freezing rain caused slick conditions on and around campus Monday, leading to cancellations throughout the day.</p>

Freezing rain caused slick conditions on and around campus Monday, leading to cancellations throughout the day.

Latest Updates:

4:45 p.m. Monday—

• Penn Pavilion will close at 7 p.m. and Trinity Cafe will be closed all evening. 

12:50 p.m. Monday—

• All Duke Recreation facilities will be closed for the rest of the day and all intramural games have been cancelled.

Original story:

Classes before 5 p.m. Monday have been canceled after the University extended its severe winter weather policy.

The University activated its the policy Sunday evening, canceling classes before 10 a.m. It extended the policy Monday morning, when a DukeAlert sent at approximately 8:45 a.m. alerted faculty, students and staff that all classes before 5 p.m. had been canceled. This is the second time the University has cancelled classes this academic year.

The DukeAlert website warned that conditions on roads, parking lots and walkways remain icy and that temperatures are not expected to rise above freezing until afternoon. The National Weather Service has extended the Winter Weather Advisory until 7 p.m. Monday for Durham and the surrounding area.

When severe weather is expected, Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh convenes a weather council to discuss the conditions and how to best prepare. The council also makes a recommendation to Provost Sally Kornbluth on class delays or cancellations, and Kornbluth makes the final call on whether to cancel classes and, if so, for how long.

Updates about events and campus operations, including roads, parking lots, busing routes, dining facilities and Duke stores, will be posted on the DukeAlert website.

Share and discuss “Classes before 5 p.m. Monday cancelled due to winter weather ” on social media.