Senior Emma Campbell-Mohn awarded Schwarzman Scholarship

Emma Campbell-Mohn
Schwarzman Scholar
Duke University
Emma Campbell-Mohn Schwarzman Scholar Duke University

Although the holidays may be over, one Duke senior recently received an additional gift.

Emma Campbell-Mohn was recently selected as an inaugural Schwarzman Scholar, an honor which will allow her to study for one year at Tsinghua University in Beijing. The scholarship provides students with the opportunity to improve their leadership skills by pursuing a master’s degree in public policy, economics or international studies.

“I was shocked and incredibly excited,” she said. “I’m very grateful to the Duke community for these past four years.”

Campbell-Mohn—who is double-majoring in political science and Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, with a minor in history—was chosen as one of the 100 recipients who will comprise the first class of Schwarzman Scholars out of 3,054 applicants. She explained that she applied for the scholarship because of her interest in U.S. foreign policy.

During her time at Duke, Campbell-Mohn has conducted work involving special defense strategies as well as security, peace and conflict. Her work has been featured in several articles, including “Should We Stay or Should We Go: The Shale Revolution and American Involvement in the Middle East” in the Columbia Journal of Politics and Society and “Developing a Global Fighting Force: Transitions in the People’s Liberation Army” in the Princeton Journal of East Asian Studies. She noted that these interests motivated her to apply for the scholarship.

“I want to understand China’s perspective on international security issues,” she said.

At Tsinghua University, Campbell-Mohn said she plans to pursue a master’s degree in global studies with a concentration in international relations. After the one-year experience, she noted that she hopes to work on U.S. security policy for the government or a think tank.

She explained that the application process for the scholarship involved a series of essays and personal statements, as well as an extensive interview process.

“The interview process was intimidating,” she said. “Overall, it was exhausting but also a lot of fun.”

A 2015 recipient of the Alona E. Evans Prize in International Law and an American Grand Strategy Fellowship, Campbell-Mohn credited Duke with preparing her for success in the scholarship application process. On campus, she serves as the co-chair of the Council on American Grand Strategy, which organizes events featuring foreign policy experts. 

Campbell-Mohn noted that she is most excited about meeting the other scholars.

“It looks like a great group of people,” she said.

Share and discuss “Senior Emma Campbell-Mohn awarded Schwarzman Scholarship” on social media.