Revolting against the FL requirement

taming of the shru

With seniors on the verge of graduation and freshman finally easing into Duke life, it is safe to say that second semester is upon us. As graduation comes eerily closer, I’ve been forced to think about something I’ve actively refused thus far: graduation requirements. As a faithful student of the liberal arts, I’ve made strides at getting those ethical inquiry and quantitative studies requirements. However, I have made absolutely zero progress on the dreaded foreign language requirement. So, is this a column about a whiny student who doesn’t want to deal with taking a foreign language to graduate? Partially. But it is also a challenge at what the foreign language requirement adds to student’s academic lives.

The Duke foreign language requirement for Trinity students is, “three courses in a given language or a single advanced (300‐) level course, whichever is attained first.” Given the nature of other requirements, foreign language is particularly intense. Being raised in a multi-lingual household, I was dismayed to realize that Duke doesn’t offer the Indian language that I speak, so I couldn’t place out.

It’s reasonable that Duke cannot offer courses in every language that exists. But I do believe that students who speak a language that Duke doesn’t offer shouldn’t necessarily have to start all over again. It is especially unfair given that students with backgrounds in other languages that are offered can take a 300 level class and place out of the requirement.

But the FL requirement can be reformed outside of making adjustments for students with previous language experience that isn’t offered by Duke. I believe that the goal of the FL requirement, which is “intended to enable all students to engage meaningfully with another culture in its own language” falls short. The reality is that making it just three semesters into a new language ending up at a 200 level language class isn’t enough to “engage meaningfully with another culture” in the respective language. Three semesters of a language hits the unfortunate balance of not being long enough to fully learn the language or culture but going beyond basic exposure to the language itself.

Don’t get me wrong. I think offering foreign language is a critical aspect of a great, international university like Duke. Languages enhance cognitive and analytical abilities, offer insights into other cultures and countries and open up opportunities to foster a truly international culture of learning. But learning a language shouldn’t be the half-hearted endeavor that the vast majority of Duke Trinity students engage in. Instead, we should reflect on what “meaningful engagement” with another culture really looks like.

I think it’s also worth asking ourselves if our graduation requirements are truly covering the breadth of skills students will need to create real change in the world and be effective leaders. For example, it could be argued that the foreign language requirement is important for enabling abilities to communicate with other cultures, which has become especially important after the rise of globalization. But is taking three semesters of a language an experience that is so valuable and skill-intensive that students graduate actually engaging with other cultures? Or do the vast majority of Duke graduates draw upon their broad liberal arts education to be well-balanced and informed leaders at an international scale? Given how interconnected the world has become and how generations of Duke students have left with the mere three semester language requirement, it seems reasonable to say that not all students have needed total fluency in another language in order to be successful.

The idea that the world is more connected is likely what drives the belief that we need to require foreign language education in the first place. But this interconnectedness, driven by globalization, was facilitated by technology. In a way, technology is the new global language. Shouldn’t the language requirement adapt to the changing currency of communication? What if we approached introductory coding courses such as Computer Science 101 as the equivalent to language?

Foreign languages are a long-standing part of Duke’s graduation requirement. However, just because it is the official policy doesn’t necessarily mean it is the most effective or well-suited policy for the current student body. It’s time for a thoughtful reflection on what students are really intended to gain from the requirement and whether or not the practical application actually matches with those intentions.

Shruti Rao is a Trinity sophomore. Her column runs on alternate Tuesdays.

Share and discuss “Revolting against the FL requirement ” on social media.