Classes cancelled Friday due to winter weather, severe weather policy extended to Sunday at noon

<p>Duke's snowy campus, which will be left without students this year for a record-long break.</p>

Duke's snowy campus, which will be left without students this year for a record-long break.

Latest Updates:

9:40 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 23—

• The severe weather policy will end Sunday at noon.
  • A DukeAlert sent to students, faculty and staff states that regular operations will resume in the afternoon and the women's basketball game between Duke and the University of North Carolina will be held at 3 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium as planned.
  • Duke Recreation facilities remain closed Sunday.

5:15 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 23—

• The severe weather policy has been extended until Sunday at noon.
  • A DukeAlert sent to students, faculty and staff notes that officials anticipate that the University will return to normal operations Sunday afternoon, but a decision will be made Sunday morning.
  • Limited bus service with the C1 traveling from East Campus to West Campus is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Sunday.

10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 23—­

• The severe weather policy has been extended until Sunday at 7 a.m.
  • According to North Carolina State University's men's basketball Twitter account, no changes have been announced for Duke's 2 p.m. tilt with the Wolfpack at PNC Arena in Raleigh.
  • ABP will be closed Saturday, along with Nasher Cafe, Quenchers, Red Mango and Trinity Cafe. Dame's Express, Joe Van Gogh and Panda Express will operate on limited hours.
  • Duke Recreation facilities will remain closed Saturday. Duke Vans are also not operating.
  • The winter storm warning remains in effect until 6 p.m. today.

10 p.m. Friday, Jan. 22—­

• The severe weather policy has been extended until Saturday at 1 p.m.
  • Administrators will evaluate weather conditions on Saturday morning and decide whether to extend the weather policy further.
  • Friday classes were cancelled due to severe weather.

Original Story:

Friday classes have been cancelled due to anticipated winter weather, with the severe weather policy extending until Saturday at 1 p.m.

The University activated its severe weather policy Thursday evening, cancelling classes for the first time this year, Provost Sally Kornbluth confirmed at approximately 5 p.m. Thursday. The cancellation comes after the National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning forecasting two to six inches of snow for central North Carolina.

A DukeAlert sent to faculty, staff and students at approximately 6 p.m. Thursday noted that the severe weather policy will be in effect from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. Friday, with classes cancelled during the same time period. It stated that further updates will be provided Friday about evening events. At approximately 1:20 p.m. Friday, the University announced that the severe weather policy had been extended until 7 a.m. Saturday, meaning Friday evening classes have also been cancelled.

The severe weather policy was extended until Saturday at 1 p.m. when a DukeAlert was sent at approximately 5:40 p.m. Friday.

The winter storm warning was issued Thursday and is in effect through Saturday evening. According to the warning, snowfall is expected to begin late tonight and continue into Friday morning. The snow is then expected to transition to freezing rain. There may also be up to one half inch of ice accumulation on roads and wind gusts up to 35 mph.

When severe weather is expected, Vice President for Administration Kyle Cavanaugh convenes a weather council to discuss the conditions and how to best prepare. The roads and entrances were pretreated prior to the snow falling, and generators are set to kick in for certain buildings in the unlikely case of a power outage. The council also makes a recommendation to Provost Sally Kornbluth on class delays or cancellations, and Kornbluth makes the final call on whether to cancel classes and, if so, for how long.

Sarah Kerman contributed reporting. This story was updated after 6 p.m. Thursday, 1:20 p.m. Friday and 5:40 p.m. Friday to include the specific information detailed in the DukeAlerts.

Share and discuss “Classes cancelled Friday due to winter weather, severe weather policy extended to Sunday at noon” on social media.