Jefferson out indefinitely with right foot injury

<p>Senior Amile Jefferson had been averaging a double-double, but is out indefinitely with a right foot injury.</p>

Senior Amile Jefferson had been averaging a double-double, but is out indefinitely with a right foot injury.

Duke captain Amile Jefferson will be sidelined indefinitely by a right foot injury, the program announced late Monday afternoon.

“This injury is unfortunate, to say the least, but Amile is strong in both person and character,” Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a press release announcing the injury. “He will continue to be an integral part of this team, and we will support him fully as he rehabs this foot injury.”

Through nine games, Jefferson was averaging a double-double of 11.4 points and 10.3 rebounds per contest, and had established himself as one of the country's top offensive rebounders. His departure will leave a big hole in the Blue Devil frontcourt, and will likely force freshman Chase Jeter into a bigger role while testing Duke's depth. Jefferson was one of three Blue Devils averaging more than 30 minutes per game.

Jefferson tweaked an ankle during exhibition play but recovered to post a strong start to his senior season. As a freshman, the Philadelphia native was called into action when senior Ryan Kelly went down with a right foot injury. Now, Jefferson is the one on the sideline, and the Blue Devils will have to figure out a way to survive without his vocal on-court presence.

Duke will get to see its roster play for the first time without Jefferson Tuesday against Georgia Southern at 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Jefferson out indefinitely with right foot injury” on social media.