DUSDAC unsure about adding Don Marcelo's

<p>DUSDAC reviewed its recent progress and made the decision not to add a new restaurant to the Merchants-on-Points program Monday.</p>

DUSDAC reviewed its recent progress and made the decision not to add a new restaurant to the Merchants-on-Points program Monday.

Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee presented an overview on the progress it has made on choosing Merchants-on-Points vendors and reflected on student feedback for current dining options at its meeting Monday.

The committee also further discussed adding Mexican restaurant Don Marcelo’s to the MOP program, considering some of the reasons for and against adding the eatery after its presentation last week. Some members voiced concerns that Don Marcelo’s was not ready to serve the Duke community.

“One of the overwhelming impressions I received is that Don Marcelo’s is not experienced in delivery and does not want to directly join the merchants-on-points program,” said DUSDAC member Julia Medine, a sophomore.

Committee members subsequently stated that during the Don Marcelo’s presentation, no food samples were provided, so the quality of the food and options for dining were hard to evaluate. In addition, the restaurant—which is located at Erwin Terrace near Sushi Love—did not have a delivery service currently in place. Presenters estimated that it would be approximately 20 to 25 minutes between the time a student places an order and the time that the order is delivered.

Committee members last week questioned Don Marcelo’s ability to deliver, particularly when the restaurant failed to bring any sample food for the committee to try.

“Seeing food is important because not only [does Don Marcelo’s] not have a delivery system in place, we don’t know how the food travels,” committee member Julia Leuchtenburg, a sophomore, said last week.

A strength of the restaurant presented last week was that the kitchen is very flexible about accommodating allergies and dietary needs, which would be necessary if the restaurant was added to the MOP program. Additionally, the delivery menu would remain the same as the in-restaurant menu except for the removal of enchiladas, which would not travel well, according to the presentation last week.

Regardless of these strengths, Medine added that, in addition to the questions surrounding Don Marcelo’s delivery, the MOP program already offers students a Mexican option in chain restaurant Tijuana Flats, though the vendor will be evaluated at the end of the year. A final decision on Don Marcelo's will also not be made until the end of the Spring semester.

“With Tijuana Flats on the program, we have another option for this year,” Medine said. “Don Marcelo’s may not be necessarily ready for delivery due to their lack of understanding for what that process entails.”

The committee also reflected on the food truck program, which added Mixed Korean Truck in October—an addition appreciated by students, the committee said.

However, several issues with Chirba Chirba—which serves dumplings and operates on Mondays and Wednesdays—have arisen, DUSDAC members explained. Reports of employees dismissing students to the back of the line after not having the PIN set up on their DukeCard and students receiving raw food were among the concerns discussed Monday.

In other business:

Questions have begun to emerge regarding future dining options on West Campus with the first floor of the new West Union opening in February and its other vendors opening next Fall. After the West Union opens, students will not be able to use Marketplace equivalency at Penn Pavilion and will only be able to use it at Skillet Southern Cookery in the West Union.

“Penn Pavilion is a very popular destination for breakfast,” said Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey. “The Skillet will be taking on what is considered traditional food—a breakfast with a hot bar and a daily special will be offered. Omelets to order and a la carte items such as eggs benedict will be available for students to chose from.”

The concept of having more grab-and-go options, however, raised some concerns among students.

“It should also be taken into consideration that students currently enjoy making their own yogurt parfaits at Penn Pavilion rather than having a pre-made option,” said DUSDAC member Joshua Furth, a sophomore.

Correction: An earlier version of this article and headline stated that Don Marcelo's was rejected from the program when a final decision has yet to be made. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC unsure about adding Don Marcelo's ” on social media.