Sienna basketball 2015-16 preview

Siena Saints

2014-15 record: 11-20, 7-13 in the MAAC

Head coach: Jimmy Patsos

Tenure at Siena: 3rd season

Career coaching record: 176-173

Home court: Times Union Center

Starters: G Marquis Wright, G Lavon Long, F Javion Ogunyemi, F Brett Bisping, C Imoh Silas

Bench: G Ryan Oliver, F Willem Brandwijk

Overview: After a series of injuries derailed their postseason hopes in the 2014-15 campaign, the Saints begin this year with a group of experienced players poised for a breakout. Starting point guard Marquis Wright leads his team both on offense and defense. Contributing 12.5 points, 5.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game, the Waldorf, Md., native is the centerpiece of a team that relies on an up-tempo style of play.

Team captain Brett Bisping and big man Imoh Silas are both looking to make an impact for the team in the paint as they return from injury. At 6-foot-8 and 238 pounds, Bisping is one of the most prolific rebounders in the MAAC and a sizable presence on the inside. Silas brings significant shot-blocking capabilities to the Saints’ defense. The Lagos, Nigeria, native boasted a MAAC-best 1.7 blocks in the 2013-14 season and will look to return to that level of dominance after missing all of last season due to an ACL tear.

What needs to go right: Paint players need to crash the glass to give the team’s versatile guards second-chance opportunities.

What could go wrong: Bisping and Silas struggle in their returns from injury, leaving the Saints without an inside presence.

Share and discuss “Sienna basketball 2015-16 preview” on social media.