DUSDAC postpones decision on Don Marcelo's

<p>DUSDAC considered Mexican restaurant Don Marcelo's for the Merchants-on-Points program.</p>

DUSDAC considered Mexican restaurant Don Marcelo's for the Merchants-on-Points program.

Although Mexican restaurant Don Marcelo's is trying to secure a spot in the Merchants-on-Points program, it currently does not deliver food.

The restaurant made a case for its inclusion in the MOP program at a Duke University Student Dining Advisory Council meeting Monday. Without food to try during the meeting, however, DUSDAC was hesitant to make a decision concerning the program, which would fill a spot opened after Chai's Noodle Bar and Bistro left in August. Committee members noted that one of the main problems presented by Don Marcelo's—which is located at Erwin Terrace near Sushi Love—is that it currently does not have a delivery program.

"Seeing food is important because not only [does Don Marcelo's] not have a delivery system in place, we don't know how the food travels," said committee member Julia Leuchtenburg, a sophomore.

Presenters from Don Marcelo's also said that the restaurant is currently developing its website and is looking to add online ordering. They estimated wait times from order to delivery to be between 20 and 25 minutes. DUSDAC member Quinn Steven, a sophomore, said she would reach out to Campus Enterprises—a student-run organization which manages delivery for several other MOP vendors—to see if it would be possible to find enough delivery drivers for the restaurant.  

The presentation highlighted many strengths of the restaurant, including the kitchen's flexibility in accommodating allergies and dietary needs, including vegan and gluten-free options. The menu is clear about what each dish contains, and many ingredients—such as flour and corn tortillas—are kept separate, said presenters from the restaurant.  

Don Marcelo's is currently open Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and until 11 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, though DUSDAC recommended that they change the closing time back to midnight.  

Committee members decided not to make a decision on incorporating Don Marcelo's into the MOP program without first trying the restaurant's food. However, they said it would be a possible candidate to replace Tijuana Flats, a chain restaurant which will be re-evaluated by the committee at the end of the year.

"I like the idea of it being a local vendor as opposed to Tijuana Flats," Steven said.

Claire Ballentine contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC postpones decision on Don Marcelo's” on social media.