Battle of Blue Bloods: No. 5 Duke men's basketball clashes with No. 2 Kentucky in Chicago

<p>Amile Jefferson has posted back-to-back double-doubles to begin the year, and Duke will need another strong night from the senior forward to slow down a formidable Kentucky frontcourt Tuesday night in Chicago.</p>

Amile Jefferson has posted back-to-back double-doubles to begin the year, and Duke will need another strong night from the senior forward to slow down a formidable Kentucky frontcourt Tuesday night in Chicago.

For some, the Blue Devils' matchup with Kentucky is a highly-anticipated clash of two top-five teams and perennial national title contenders. 

For freshman Luke Kennard, the battle is far more personal.

After comfortable victories against Siena and Bryant in the 2K Classic to begin the season, No. 5 Duke will face its first major test Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. against the second-ranked Wildcats in the Champions Classic in Chicago. Kennard—who was raised by a family of Kentucky fans just more than two hours north of the Wildcats' Rupp Arena—will have an added chip on his shoulder as he takes the floor at the United Center, just a five-hour drive away from his high school in Franklin, Ohio.

“We had some UK stuff in the house, but all that’s gone—it’s all Duke now, all Duke," Kennard said after Saturday's win against Bryant. “I know a lot of friends and family are going to be there, pretty close to home.... I’m excited about it and it’s a big game. I’m going to play really hard and hopefully come out with a win.”

Although it’s not the titanic clash college basketball fans hoped for in April last season between an undefeated Kentucky squad and a talented Duke team—two clubs that combined to send nine players to the NBA, including four top-10 selections and the entire Wildcats starting lineup—Tuesday’s renewal of one of the sport's greatest rivalries has its share of storylines.

The Blue Devils and the Wildcats have finished with the top two recruiting classes in the nation the past two years, with Duke edging Kentucky both times. In that time, the Blue Devils have brought their fifth banner to Durham, but the Wildcats have been unable to capture a national title since 2012.

Despite the fact that Tuesday’s matchup features two of the top teams in the country with coaching legends Mike Krzyzewski and John Calipari patrolling the sidelines for Duke and Kentucky, respectively, both teams are searching for their identity amid an abundance of youth.

“Kentucky is going to be as talented as anybody we play and they’re young, too,” Krzyzewski said Saturday. “But they’re really talented and in that type of environment, you can’t get practice in that.”

The Wildcats (2-0) and the Blue Devils (2-0) have nearly identical roster compositions with six incoming freshman alongside steady veterans. Playing the leadership roles of Marshall Plumlee, Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson for the Wildcats are senior Alex Poythress and sophomore Tyler Ulis. Although the two have been solid contributors for Kentucky, Ulis' 5-foot-9 stature and Poythress' ACL tear at the beginning of last season have prevented them from bolting to the NBA like several of their teammates.

But for both teams, much of the talk has centered on their highly-touted freshmen.

For the Wildcats, 6-foot-11 forward Skal Labissiere will man the interior and test the Blue Devils up front. The No. 2 recruit in the Class of 2015 is off to a fast start and has averaged 17.5 points per game on 77 percent shooting in his first two contests. In the backcourt, guards Jamal Murray—who, like Duke freshman point guard Derryck Thornton, reclassified to join the Class of 2015—and Isaiah Briscoe have quickly adjusted to the college game and have combined to average 24.5 points per game thus far. 

Although Duke’s freshmen have been overshadowed by the play of Grayson Allen to start the season, the newest Blue Devils will have their first chance to perform in the national spotlight. Forward Brandon Ingram appeared to find his perimeter stroke against Bryant Saturday and has the versatility at 6-foot-9 to make life difficult for defenders. Meanwhile, Thornton, Kennard and forward Chase Jeter have all shown flashes of their abilities early this season.

“I think they’re very mature and they come in with a lot of talent, but they’re a different group than last year, and we have a different returning class than last year’s class,” Jefferson said. “What we’re trying to do is establish a bond, something special with this group of guys.”

Although it’s rare for a single week in the season to hold much importance, the Blue Devils enter the Champions Classic with a chance to make a major statement in the next seven days. A non-conference victory against another team likely to be in contention for a conference title could provide a similar resume boost to what Duke received after beating Wisconsin last year. Following Tuesday’s game, the Blue Devils will head to the second leg of the 2K Classic in New York, where they will face off against VCU and either Wisconsin or Georgetown at Madison Square Garden this weekend.

“Each one is a little bit of a measuring stick,” Krzyzewski said. “The Champions Classic has been great for all four of the teams and the games have been terrific. We’re really looking forward to it and then we have to turn around and go to New York—so it’s a busy week.”

Share and discuss “Battle of Blue Bloods: No. 5 Duke men's basketball clashes with No. 2 Kentucky in Chicago” on social media.