The independent "Independent House"

Sherwood, Windsor, Farquaad—what do all of these names have in common? They are all Independent Houses under Duke University’s new housing model. This model was designed in a carefully thought-out process that took into consideration decades of Duke students’ experiences with campus housing. It was implemented in Fall 2012 with the hope that it would help unaffiliated students find community beyond their freshman-year dorms.

Now that the model has entering its fourth year, it is time to reflect on the progress that has been made and ask: “Is the housing model really building community amongst unaffiliated and out-of-section students?” As a three-year resident, and President, of Sherwood House I would like to take the time to explain to the Duke community how Sherwood has embraced the Independent House Model, laying the foundations to become a group that is just as recognizable as Selective Living Groups and Greek organizations. I hope to convince other Independent Houses to seize the opportunities granted to us by Duke Student Government (DSG) and HDRL to further develop autonomy and community.

For those who might not know how Independent Houses work, these houses are governed by a house council that plans events and looks out for the general welfare of the students that were, at some point, randomly placed into the house. Students have the option of exercising the Right of Return and staying in their house for multiple years. Right of Return is the option to return to one’s Independent House and is necessary for the success of Independent Houses. Sherwood House has implemented many changes to encourage more students to exercise this Right of Return, thereby strengthening our community.

Just a couple weeks ago, Sherwood House passed a referendum that will allow our members to have greater autonomy over the room selection process. In the past, Sherwood members have been frustrated by the fact that the Independent House room selection model did not differentiate between seniors who had lived in Sherwood for one semester and seniors who had lived in Sherwood for four semesters. House Council and Duke Student Government thought that a more equitable system would be one that allows those who lived in Sherwood the longest to have the best room picks.

With the help of Joe Gonzalez, the Dean of Residential Life, and George Mellgard, DSG VP for Residential Life, Sherwood House Council developed a referendum to propose a new room selection system by which priority was assigned first by number of semesters in section, then by House Involvement (a quantifiable factor used to encourage community building through participation in house events). Sherwood House Council along with VP Mellgard thought that this system would reward those who dedicated their time to Sherwood as well as incentivize individuals to help Sherwood continue to grow. After several House Council meetings and Town Halls, Sherwood House Council along with VP Mellgard ensured that the students within Sherwood were aware of this new system and how it could stand to benefit them. Then it was time for a vote.

In the end, over 60 percent of Sherwood residents voted in favor of the referendum, and we are set to implement the changes in time for Fall 2016 Housing Selection. This is the first time under the new house model that an Independent House has taken the initiative to make such a large change. I would love to see more Independent Houses take the initiative to enact changes that will benefit their communities. More importantly, this change in the room selection process is symbolic of what Sherwood and VP Mellgard see as a change in culture for Independent Houses. Until now, Independent Houses have been seen as stagnant organizations without any real continuity or opportunity for growth. Often times, individuals give up on trying to foster community and just follow the system that was in place before them and will most likely be in place after them. Sherwood has taken another step forward towards changing this passive culture, and now we only have one question left: is your Independent House ready to echo this culture change?

The Independent House Model is only four years old, but it is also four years strong. If you think your house is ready to take the step towards greater autonomy, I encourage you to use all the resources that are at your disposal to make the changes that you would like to see. Feel free to contact George Mellgard or me if you would like help with this process. The administration and DSG want Independent House members to be confident in their ability to build community. Consequently, I cannot underscore the value in reaching out to VP Mellgard and the Residential Life Committee for help in developing community and gaining control over your Independent Housing experience. In my mind, the new housing model will be considered a success only when Independent Houses are truly independent.

Kate Abendroth is a Trinity senior and the President of Sherwood House.

Share and discuss “The independent "Independent House"” on social media.