Sirk, Powell foresee strong offensive second half of season

<p>Senior running back Shaquille Powell gave the Blue Devil running backs a B at the halfway point of the season, calling a sluggish effort against Boston College as room for improvement.</p>

Senior running back Shaquille Powell gave the Blue Devil running backs a B at the halfway point of the season, calling a sluggish effort against Boston College as room for improvement.

Throw out the preseason projections. The ACC Coastal Division is as unpredictable as ever and midseason is just now approaching.

After being slated to finish fourth in the division in the preseason poll, newly ranked No. 25 Duke remains undefeated in conference play—sporting a 5-1 overall record—and sits tied atop the division with a bye week on the horizon.

Although the defense has been the collective star through six games, head coach David Cutcliffe’s offense is determined to pick up the pace and finish the second half of the season strong.

“Looking back, I think that we’ve had a great start. Obviously we would like to be 6-0 rather than 5-1, but we’ve moved on and we’ve continued to get better week-to-week,” quarterback Thomas Sirk said. “The bye week couldn’t come at a better time for us to rest and heal and get ready for the second half—the long stretch of all ACC play. I think that we’re going to continue to get better.”

So far this season, the Blue Devil offense has shown signs of greatness interspersed with lapses in production. Against weaker opponents Tulane, N.C. Central and Army, the offense racked up more than 450 total yards in each game, but against conference foes and defensive juggernaut Northwestern, the offense was held to fewer than 330 yards in each contest, including just 228 against Boston College.

Although Duke struggled in those three games, it faced some of the toughest competition in the nation. The Eagles have the top-ranked total defense in the country, allowing just 140.3 yards per game, and the Wildcats are ninth with 269.5 yards allowed per game.

“We recognize [that we’ve played top defenses], but we don’t use it as an excuse as to why we didn’t produce or why we didn’t [score] as many points as we needed to,” running back Shaquille Powell said. “Obviously, [we’re] trying to compete for an ACC title, hopefully get into the playoffs, [and] just be a top team. We’re going to play a lot of good defenses, if we continue down that path.”

Stepping into Anthony Boone's shoes under center, Sirk's development has been under the microscope since day one after entering the season with just 14 pass attempts. Through six games, the Glen St. Mary, Fla., native has completed 62.4-percent of his passes for 1,260 yards, seven touchdowns and three interceptions. The signal caller has been criticized for his tendency to check down to his running backs rather than airing it out for more yardage, but this has not deterred the first-year starter moving forward.

“I’m just going to try to continue to get better. I don’t think that I can categorize myself as an A, B, C or D in that manner," Sirk said. "I’ve learned a lot and I’m continuing to learn. I’m going to finish the test the rest of the season.”

Behind Sirk, the Blue Devil running back corps has improved as the season has progressed and as the stable has refilled with healthy backs. In five of the six games this season, Duke has racked up at least 165 yards and one touchdown on the ground, averaging 4.1 yards per carry.

Powell has led the way with 298 yards for three touchdowns as well as 108 receiving yards and two touchdowns out of the backfield. Although he has seen less action, sophomore Shaun Wilson has run for 210 yards and one touchdown, and has snagged 13 catches for 167 yards—including an 89-yarder for a touchdown against N.C. Central.

But despite the success, the running backs struggled against Boston College, rushing for just 33 yards on 35 attempts. For Powell, this has lowered his assessment of the backs at midseason and leaves room for improvement down the road.

“I would say [we would receive] a B,” he said. “We need to improve on some things, that’s not only just [the running backs]. We’ve done a good job so far, but we can always get better.”

Getting better may come in the form of redshirt junior Jela Duncan, who appears to be back in the lineup for good following a pectoral injury during fall camp. In just three games this season, the Charlotte, N.C., native is averaging 7.1 yards per carry, and exploded against Army for 78 yards and two touchdowns.

“I’m obviously glad he’s back,” Powell said. “He is a great, physical, hard runner and he’s a big guy. He’s strong, stronger than a lot of people that I know. He definitely adds that extra oomph to our offense. Having him back, it just adds to the competition that’s going to make me a better player…. We’re all competing every day that we come out here, so it’s just good for the whole offense.”

Duncan's return bolsters an offense that is still finding its identity at the midway point in the season, but the upcoming off week allows the Blue Devils to re-evaluate where they are and what they need moving forward.

Duke may sit atop the Coastal, but complacency with an offense that has been up and down is not the attitude to have as divisional foes are hungry to unseat the teams at the top. Hitting the film room and resting for the bye week is the first step to coming out strong in the second act of the season, especially against Virginia Tech on the road at a hostile Lane Stadium.

“[Virginia Tech plays] Miami this week, so we get to see the teams we play the next two weeks this weekend, so that’ll be a great opportunity to get ahead on film and get ahead and let our bodies rest,” Sirk said. “That’s the most important thing right now. We’re going to come out fresh versus Virginia Tech next Saturday."

Share and discuss “Sirk, Powell foresee strong offensive second half of season” on social media.