RECESS  |  CULTURE

Music Review: V

After releasing albums every few years for most of their career, punk/noise rock band Wavves recently picked up their speed by releasing two albums in 2015: "No Life for Me" in June and most recently, "V" on Oct. 2nd. Although released within two months of each other, "No Life for Me" is the better of the two.

A fun, upbeat album, "V" was not nearly as versatile as "No Life for Me." "No Life for Me"—a collaboration with indie-rock band Cloud Nothings—departs from the solely upbeat, pop-undertone sounds of "V." By featuring songs with more calming vibes like “Nothing Hurts” and catchy acoustics like those in “Untitled I” and “Untitled II,” "No Life for Me" has a variation lost in "V." The vocals in "No Life" are also far more pleasant than those in "V."

Though surpassed by the earlier album, "V" shows a few promising aspects. The songs generally have nice beats, and are exciting from the beginning. “Wait” features a catchy guitar solo, and “All the Same” is stuck-in-your-head worthy. “My Head Hurts” is the best song on the album with its fast, enjoyable beat that’s easy to listen to. The lines “I’m saying stupid things” and “suffocating on my own” are depressing and relatable, putting a lighthearted tune to everyday struggles. Additionally, the background vocals add a fun vibe not usually present in the other songs.

Despite the positive aspects of the album, though, it’s easy to feel its faults. The lyrics have room for improvement, and the vocals are questionable in multiple tracks. The songs sound overly generic and similar with their use of rough guitar and consistent bass. Lyrics are obnoxiously simple: the most popular song, “Heavy Metal Detox” asks “why does my head hurt?” but also states that we’re simply “not alone,” leaving little up to interpretation. The songs start out with a cacophony, and then flatten out to similar background music and thematic lyrics. Though entertaining, they don’t combine to form a complete musical experience.

In total, "V" is certainly a fun and catchy album—without being much more. It was disappointing after "No Life for Me," which left room for exploration and innovation that "V" didn’t seem to take advantage of.

If you’d like to have a fun exercise album or to let off some leftover teen angst, "V" is certainly for you. If not, Wavves’s earlier albums "No Life for Me" and "King of the Beach" are the places to look for higher quality music.

Share and discuss “Music Review: V” on social media.