First female Trinity dean Ernestine Friedl passes away Monday

Ernestine Friedl, the first female dean of the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, died Monday, the University announced in a press release.

Friedl was 95 and passed away at The Cedars, a retirement community in Chapel Hill.

A renowned anthropologist and James B. Duke Professor Emerita, Friedl came to Duke in 1973 to become chair of the cultural anthropology department, a position she held until 1978. She served as dean of Trinity from 1980 until 1985, pushing forward initiatives to increase diversity and overseeing the establishment of the Women's Studies program.

In 2008, the building that formerly housed East Campus's art museum was renovated to house humanities and social science programs and was renamed after Friedl. The African and African American Studies, Cultural Anthropology and Literature programs are among the humanities programs currently based in the Friedl Building.

"Her legacy is all around us," President Richard Brodhead said when the building reopened, characterizing Friedl as a "person of ever-young spirit, with a warmth and humanity that endears her to all."

Friedl emigrated to the United States from Hungary when she was two years old. After developing her interest in anthropology as an undergraduate at Hunter College and as a Ph.D. student at Columbia University, Friedl taught at Wellesley College and Queens College of the City of New York. She became known for her work studying modern Europe and gender roles.

Friedl was president of the American Ethnological Society in 1967 before being selected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1976 and appointed by President Jimmy Carter to the National Science Board—which oversees the National Science Foundation—in 1978.

She was first married to Harry Levy, professor of classical studies. She later married Dr. Merel Harmel, the founding chair of the University's department of anesthesiology.

Two weeks ago, Friedl's granddaughter organized a departmental luncheon for Friedl in the building bearing her name.

“It was a joyous, wonderful event for everyone. Ernie got to meet everyone and was very interested in what they were working on,” said Charles Piot, chair of the cultural anthropology department, in the release.

As is customary when a former faculty member dies, Duke's flags were lowered Tuesday.

Share and discuss “First female Trinity dean Ernestine Friedl passes away Monday” on social media.