Dame’s Express continues menu expansion

<p>Dame’s Chicken and Waffles owner Randy Wadsworth noted that explaining the “express” concept to some customers has been a challenge.</p>

Dame’s Chicken and Waffles owner Randy Wadsworth noted that explaining the “express” concept to some customers has been a challenge.

When it came to campus, Dame’s Express knew it would have to go beyond chicken and waffles to satisfy students. Now, the eatery is continuing menu expansion to keep business booming as the year wears on.

Since Dame’s Express opened on Central Campus in August, it has been experimenting with different menu options—such as burgers, egg omelets and frittatas—while continuing to serve its signature dish of fried chicken and waffles. Among the new options will be more pasta, pizza and grab-and-go deli items as well as panko-crusted chicken tenders, Randy Wadsworth, the owner of Dame’s Chicken and Waffles, explained in an email. Wadsworth noted that Dame’s Express is continuing to adjust its menu to best meet students’ needs.

“We are gradually expanding our menu to add more items,” he wrote. “We have not deleted or removed any items.”

Other ways the restaurant hopes to expand its menu include integrating “additional chicken and waffles, Hispanic items and additional vegetarian options,” Wadsworth explained.

Senior Brian Taylor, chair of Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee, explained that Dame’s has been analyzing and modifying its menu based on feedback throughout the semester.

“They’re trying to figure out what students like and don’t like,” he said. “So far, it’s been very positive.”

Although Wadsworth reported that business has remained steady, several students noted that the menu expansion is needed.

“I love the things that are on it, but it could use just a little more,” sophomore Carly Seamon said.

Sophomore Laura Guidera added that because Dame’s is the only restaurant on Central Campus, its menu items quickly became repetitive.

Although some might have exhausted the vendor’s menu since classes started, Taylor noted that Dame’s position as the main vendor on Central Campus in place of Devil’s Bistro has actually contributed to its business. Even the presence of the Belgian Waffle Crafters food truck on West Campus—which serves a similar product—has not deterred students from visiting Dame’s, he said.

Wadsworth noted that he thinks competition among businesses is healthy.

“Unless they decide to sell chicken with their waffles, I don’t see any conflict,” he wrote.

In addition to dining at the restaurant, an increased number of customers are taking advantage of their on-campus catering service, Wadsworth explained.

“We still desire to grow our customer base and continue to provide the foods and services the Duke population desires,” he wrote. “So there’s still potential for growth.”

He explained that the biggest challenge Dame’s has faced so far is making customers understand the “express” concept and that Dame’s Express is different than the restaurant in downtown Durham. People often expect to see the exact same menu in both locations, Wadsworth wrote.

Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey wrote in an email that Dame’s is building a good foundation with its team members and that the owners’ commitment to serve the Duke community has made them great partners with Duke Dining.

“I’ve heard excellent feedback from students, faculty and staff that the food quality is wonderful and that they really enjoy having Dame’s on campus,” he wrote.

Share and discuss “Dame’s Express continues menu expansion” on social media.